Mommy Dearest

Summary: Maleficent has finally grown. Just not quite in the way that everyone expected. Familial feels and some fluff.

   "Get up. I say, get up! You sorry little excuse for an Auradonian!" a voice rang out, drawing her from her sleep. Mal's blood ran cold as she immediately knew who was speaking to her. She could recognize that shrill, irritating, cold tone anywhere.

Mal turned over quickly in her bed, anxiously searching for the source of the noise. However, to her complete and utter shock, her mother's terrarium had not been knocked from its place nearby her bedside and there was no evidence that her mother was anywhere in the room. In fact, her grumpy little lizard face was staring at her from her spot on her tiny throne Mal had placed.

Mal breathed out carefully, glancing over at Evie who was currently lying peacefully in her own bed.

She let out a calming breath. It was all in her head. Maybe she was just dreaming and she thought she had heard her mother's voice.

But it had seemed so real...

"Are you quite done looking around like some bumbling idiot?" Mal's head jerked back to face the lizard. She had moved from her spot on the throne and was now leaning against the glass nearest to Mal.

"A-Are you talking to me?" Mal questioned, feeling a little ridiculous speaking to a lizard that had never vocalized anything since she had turned it into the very reptile it was.

"Who else would be talking to? Sleeping Beauty Wannabe over there?" Maleficent asked, gesturing at Evie with her narrow head.

Mal's mouth fell open in pure shock.

"Holy guacamole, you're talking to me," Mal spoke, halfway to herself. Maleficent rolled her eyes and groaned, bumping her head against the glass in pure frustration.

"How many times do I have to tell you this? Yes! I. Am. Talking. To. You!!! Can. You. Understand. What. I'm. Saying?!" Mal blankly stared at her for a moment before shaking her head, totally freaking out.

"I've finally done it. I've finally went insane. I just thought I had gone cuckoo when me and Evie switched bodies, but now it's really happened," Mal told herself, holding her head in her hands.

"Oh, yes. That was a rather glorious bit of trouble you managed to get the both of you into. My favorite part was when you were so deliciously jealous of Evie and Ben. That was magnificently humorous," the little lizard cackled wickedly, her face contorted into an evil grin.

"Ooh, boy. What am I going to tell everybody?" Mal wondered aloud. Her eyes grew wide as she suddenly realized that she wasn't the only person in the room besides the lizard. "But in the meantime, what am I going to tell Evie?"

"Well, don't look now, but it appears that you're going to need to figure that out sooner than later. The blueberry is awakening." Mal turned to the other bed, panicked as she glanced back in her mother's direction. Sometimes, she truly cursed the fact that Evie was a light sleeper.

"Mal, what's going on? Who're you talking to?" Evie questioned groggily, slowly rising in her bed and holding herself up with her hands as her barely cracked open eyes attempted to make sense of her surroundings.

Mal flashed her a wide smile that was bordering on the grin of a maniac.

"Nothing, nothing. I'm just giving myself a pep-talk."

"Did you have another nightmare?" Evie immediately began looking more aware and she threw her legs over the side of the bed in a gesture to rise up. Mal mentally slapped herself for using a pep-talk as an excuse.