Urban Cowgirls Part 8

Summary: The girls have gotten fed up with the boys' constant teasing, and they make a bet: the boys pick a place, and the girls will stay there for several days, doing just fine and not chickening out, which will prove their strong independence. Naturally, the place was not what the girls bargained for. Full of friendship feels among the girls with Bal, Huma, Jaudrey, and Jarlos thrown in.

   Once the girls had finished their duties with the animals, they all met up at the farmhouse where they found Audrey sitting at the kitchen table and talking to Anne.

"And Miss Princess is just sitting in here all pretty. Isn't that fine living?" Uma sarcastically acknowledged as she spun a chair toward her and straddled it as she faced the others at the table.

The other three slid down into their seats more gracefully and properly than Uma had, and they looked at Anne and Audrey expectantly.

"Well, I've found something that you girls can do," Anne informed them with a kindly smile gracing her wrinkled features. Evie tilted her head, listening sweetly as she eyed the old woman. Uma just raised an eyebrow, keeping her gaze firmly on Audrey. Audrey just returned her gaze with just as much unimpressed emotion.

"What would that be?" Mal questioned with what she hoped was a smile that complimented Evie's natural bubbly lovingness.

"I need you five to head out to town and get me a few things in the store," Anne told them, and it was then that Mal noticed the piece of paper in Audrey's grasp.

"I've given Audrey the list," the old woman said with a gentle pat to Audrey's shoulder, and Audrey looked at her fondly.

"Make sure that when you get to the end of the driveway, you turn left and keep going straight. You'll see the town before too long. It's really traditional, and I think y'all will like it," the elderly lady explained to them, and Evie's eyes lit up in excitement. Mal turned her gaze to the bluenette with a slight smile, enjoying Evie's presumable romanticism of a place that was likely not nearly as traditional as Evie was imagining.

Audrey grinned widely at all of them, and Uma just glared at the pink princess with a complete lack of any appreciation. She was still angry with the fact that Audrey had stayed inside with the cushy job while Uma was outside running for her life from a crazy horse that wanted to chew her up and spit her out.

Mal finally sighed, and Evie supposed that the purple-haired girl had recognized the tension in the room.

"Well, let's go, girls," Mal announced after a moment of rest, and they all started to get up from the table and head outside.

They all headed over for Charlene, and they got in their traditional seats as Evie cranked the car. Everyone clasped their seatbelts at Evie's instruction, and got themselves situated for the ride ahead, despite how short it would likely be.

Mal, Audrey, and Uma were deathly quiet as Evie started up the driveway. Evie glanced at them strangely but didn't say anything. However, when the silence persisted, Evie finally had to ask when she stopped at the end of the driveway.

"What is going on with you girls?" Evie questioned with a slight bewildered laugh, gazing at her best friend, the pink princess, and the pirate.

"We were just scared you'd start up 'Delta Dawn,'" Uma chuckled sincerely, and Evie immediately rolled her eyes, a big grin coming onto her face as she turned left in the direction that Anne had said the town would be in.

"Oh, I think I've learned my lesson about all that authentic, traditional country stuff," Evie emphasized to the group, and they continued on about their driving for a little while longer.