Sparks Fly

Summary: Jay and Audrey go to see the Independence Day fireworks for a fun date. However, Audrey has some lingering insecurities that have been bothering her for a while now. Basically, some fluff and maybe a tiny bit of drama/angst with Jaudrey feels.

   "Do you like me as much as you like her?" Audrey suddenly asked before she could quite control her mouth. She immediately regretted her words, and she swallowed as she looked down at the grass that they were sitting upon.

At this moment, Audrey was nestled against Jay as they watched the sky and waited for the fireworks to start for Independence Day. They had decided to go after Audrey had raved about how romantic it was for a couple to be under the fireworks together.

But she certainly hadn't planned to say what she just had.

"What?" Jay questioned simply, and she just offered a slight grin as she tried to distract from what she had just said.

"Nothing. Just don't worry about it," Audrey breezily dismissed.

Of course, it hadn't been nothing. In fact, it had been something that Audrey had been worried about for a while now.

Audrey and Jay had been dating for only a couple of months, and they had been spending a ton of time together. She had never felt so in love with someone before, and it was quite honestly a wonderful change from the horrendous relationships that she had been through before.

But during that time, she had been increasingly noticing that her and Jay had a lot of differences. She loved parties and fanciful things while he loved sports and rough things.

Because of that, she had been a little worried that he wouldn't like her for much longer and would rather hang out with someone that shared more of his interests. After all, why waste time on someone who would never be agreeable to his tastes when he could be putting good effort into a relationship that would benefit him?

And the person that she was sincerely afraid he would choose was Lonnie.

Lonnie had so many things in common with Jay. She loved sports, she was rough and tumble, she didn't like fanciful things, and she was well-equipped to handle anything he could throw at her, despite her status as an Auradon girl. The two of them were already so acquainted and had known each other for much longer than Audrey and Jay had known one another. They had so many inside jokes and were so comfortable with each other that Audrey oftentimes was made to feel altogether so silly and unknowledgeable about Jay.

But that didn't mean anything about how Audrey felt about him.

Audrey thought that he was the most wonderful boy that she had ever met. He was so sweet even though he was not the same as her, and she quite honestly found him utterly intriguing. It was so interesting to have someone in her life that was not that same old droning beat of propriety and sameness.

However, she was not sure he felt the same about her.

"Now, hang on a sec, I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as nothing. At least in my book," Jay replied as he turned to face her more fully and loosened his grip on her so that he could properly look at her face.

Audrey just looked down as she allowed her arm to slip away from him. She absently picked at some grass blades, refusing to speak for a long time as she tried to overcome her feelings of worry so that she could perhaps offer a convincing façade that would perhaps throw him off of her trail.

Before she could fully accomplish this task, he covered her hand in the grass with his own. Her eyes immediately darted up to meet his own, and all she saw in his gaze was concern and a desire to understand.