Love and Loyalty to You

Summary: Evie and Mal discuss the aftermath of D3, taking the time to properly address their argument about Mal's lie. Mal and Evie friendship and sister feels. Part of the series including "His Captain," "Keep Your Enemies Closer," and "Actions Speak Louder Than Words." You might want to read them in that order so this oneshot makes more sense. :)

   Evie sighed deeply and contentedly, running her fingers through her hair and removing the crown from the top of her head. She shook her hair a bit, loosening her tresses so that they fell in a deep blue waterfall around her head. Evie then took off her heels carefully and placed them next to her on the stone flooring before leaning against the railing of the balcony.

Evie had escaped the party scene and was up on the balcony that Mal and Ben had been standing upon earlier, surveying the bridge leading to the Isle. She smiled softly as she viewed the beauty of the soft lights peppering the bridge.

She was simply reeling at everything that had happened over the course of a few days.

It was truly a wonderful feeling to know that so many kids had a chance to start a new life of good much sooner than Evie, Mal, Jay, and Carlos had. So many of them were going to have such a greater childhood than they would have on the Isle. Evie was so unbelievably thankful for that fact.

However, there was one thing that continued to bother Evie immensely. It was her and Mal's fight from just the other day when Mal had exposed to the group that she had lied about the barrier being opened. It wasn't the fact that Mal had lied. After all, Evie had completely forgiven her for that, not to mention the fact that Evie knew Mal's faults when she signed up for best friend status.

It was just what Mal had said about her and Evie's relationship. Mal claimed that she had been afraid that she was going to lose Evie. Quite honestly, that statement had injured Evie more deeply than any other thing that Mal had said or done. The fact that Mal had actually felt that Evie would not stand by her through thick and thin, and that Evie would not love her anymore was absolutely agonizing for Evie.

Evie adored Mal more than anyone else besides Jay and Carlos, and Mal was her best friend in the entire world. Evie loved Mal with all of her heart and had been by her side through every crisis imaginable. She honestly wasn't sure why Mal had been so certain that she would lose Evie.

The bluenette herself knew and was confident in the fact that Mal would never leave her side as a result of something Evie did. Evie had many occasional insecurities about someone else taking her place, but Evie was confident that Evie would never do anything to send Mal away, and if she truly thought about it, she knew no one would replace her.

So why would Mal feel that Evie would replace the faerie?

Evie was suddenly pulled from her reverie by arms encircling her waist and a sudden presence near her. Evie would have been startled if she hadn't heard the footsteps approaching just a few moments ago, barely creeping in hopes that they wouldn't be detected. However, the girl immediately knew who it was, and she twisted in the embrace to hold the other person full-on with a laugh.

"Did I scare you?" Mal asked, her voice somewhat muffled from where it was squished against Evie's collarbone. Evie just chuckled with a huge grin, her more upsetting thoughts slipping away as she held her best friend tightly and lovingly.

"No, were you trying?" Evie questioned playfully as she smiled.

"Well, rats!" Mal replied with irritated emphasis, but her happy grin and laugh betrayed her. Evie nuzzled Mal's hair, holding her in her arms for a few more moments before kissing Mal's forehead swiftly and releasing the other girl. Mal just beamed up at Evie affectionately, and Evie turned to face the bridge once again, a content smile on her face.