Keep Your Enemies Closer

Summary: Audrey realizes that without being a queen, she has absolutely nothing. She has no friends, no boyfriend, and almost no one that cares about her outside of her strict grandmother and parents that are never there. However, she finds a friend in Mal when she least expects it, and Mal finds her a few more friends. Mal, Carlos, Evie, and Audrey friendship, and Jaudrey or Jay x Audrey.

   Audrey collapsed against the wall of a secluded part of the castle, assuming that no one would see the famed daughter of Aurora slowly turning into a puddle of tears. After all, they were all in the other room having fun and enjoying themselves at Mal and Ben's party.

But how could Audrey feel anything but remorse, guilt, and overwhelming sadness after all the things that she had done to the good people of this kingdom?

She had turned on everyone. Audrey obviously hadn't been entirely controlled by herself, but what was concerning was the fact that the scepter took advantage of her emotions toward Ben and Mal that had been angrily stewing deep inside her heart.

But it terrified Audrey to consider how much of the Queen of Mean was the scepter's influence and how much was actually her.

Audrey had wanted her perfect life back, and it felt like Mal had taken it from her. Although, reflecting on it, Audrey was worried that it wasn't entirely Mal's fault. Ben was the one that chose to stay with the faerie even after he had awoken. If he had truly loved Audrey, he wouldn't have remained with Mal after the spell was broken.

It was also Audrey's fault herself. If she had been a better person and allowed her heart to rule her actions instead of her grandmother's prejudices and expectations, she might have been able to maintain her place as queen to be.

But did Audrey ever truly want that? If she had asked herself that four months ago, she would have answered wholeheartedly that yes, she wanted that more than anything else. Now that she had tried out being a VK, she couldn't help but feel conflicted.

As much as she resented herself for it, she felt amazingly free when she was the Queen of Mean. It was refreshing not to be constantly in worry of what someone else would think of her- what Grammy would think of her. Audrey had been strictly raised to marry the crown prince, and preside over good as the great queen of Auradon.

Did Audrey ever consider what she herself wanted in life? If she truly thought about it, Audrey guessed that she wanted love, ultimately. She wanted a close group of friends and a boyfriend who all would love her unconditionally, without any expectations of what she should be in concern to society and being a princess. She wanted people to love her for who she was instead of her title.

Audrey guessed that she just wanted what Mal had. Audrey wanted people to care about her.

Heaven knows, she had been lonely for so long.

"Audrey? Why aren't you in there celebrating?" Audrey looked up, wiping away the tears as fast as she could despite the fact that there would still be stains from her mascara. It was Mal standing before her, a surprisingly concerned look on her face. It was an expression that Audrey almost couldn't understand. She knew that she had apologized to Mal and the faerie had reciprocated that gesture, but she didn't think that Mal genuinely cared about her any further than bare acquaintanceship and diplomacy.

"I just needed time to think. You go back in there and enjoy yourself," Audrey defeatedly told the other girl. There was no malice in her voice, she had no aim of sending any biting words toward Mal. She actually really wished she had someone she could talk to about this that wouldn't judge her and that she could just unload all of these weird feelings onto. Someone that could understand.