Finding Charlene Part 4

Summary: Evie suffers a horrible accident with her car, and Mal and the others have to handle the consequences. But no one could have expected the horrendous loss than came from that accident.

   "Is there some reason we have to take her out in a wheelchair?" Mal asked somewhat nervously, as she hurried alongside the nurse that was pushing Evie along in the wheelchair. The old lady just chuckled and shook her head. Evie smiled sweetly at Mal, albeit significantly less brightly than it usually was. But everything about Evie's happiness seemed to be dulled since she found out the news yesterday.

"It's hospital procedure. Whether you're able to walk or not, we've gotta do it," the nurse told Mal good-naturedly, and Mal just sighed, extremely uncomfortable with the entire thing. Evie's smile slowly faded away as she pursed her lips slightly.

Since yesterday, nothing had been right in Evie's world, and despite how much she enjoyed the attention she had received and how much she loved Mal staying with her overnight in the hospital, she was still terribly upset about Charlene. And now that they were leaving the hospital and Uma, Audrey, and Jane were picking them up in Uma's Hummer, Evie seemed even more glum.

Mal knew that it was because Uma's Hummer just reminded Evie of Charlene, and it was horribly painful to see Evie in such agony over the vehicle's loss.

"So, you're one hundred percent sure she's not paralyzed or something?"

"Yes, your Majesty, I'm sure," the old woman smiled, and Mal could tell that she wanted to laugh in response to Mal's statement. Mal knew that she probably sounded paranoid, but after being convinced that she had lost Evie, she couldn't help but find herself somewhat protective. Of course, that was likely an understatement of massive proportions.

They came out of the front doors and Mal honestly wasn't sure whether she was thankful or unhappy to see Uma's Hummer parked before the front doors. Largely, what caused this conflict of feelings was the fact that the pirate was blasting "The Git Up" by Blanco Brown inside the vehicle.

Evie immediately looked up, and Mal almost thought she was going to get to see one of those one-thousand-watt grins from her best friend--- after all, it was one of Evie's favorite songs--- but she was sorely disappointed when Evie just looked a bit teary-eyed before getting it together.

"My Country Music Awesome Mix DVD was in her when it happened," Evie muttered, and Mal felt a stab to her heart as she heard Evie's words. Both Evie's favorite music collection with her baby all gone in one day? Mal couldn't hardly bear to think about it.

Uma rolled down the tinted window and the music started playing even louder.

"Hey! It's 'The Git Up!' Your favorite, right?!" Uma yelled, and Evie nodded a bit, her smile dulled significantly. Uma lost a bit of her grin as she turned off the music quickly.

"Yo, nice wheels," Uma commented, pulling down the pair of sunglasses she had to waggle an eyebrow. Evie almost laughed, but it didn't quite come to her face. Mal could easily see Audrey chilling in the passenger seat, looking somewhere between having the time of her life and dying of mortification.

"But I got better ones. You wanna hop in the back and test 'em out?" Uma asked, patting the driver's door of her car as she accentuated her words with a wicked grin. Evie sighed slightly, offering Uma the barest of smiles that didn't quite meet her eyes.

Uma's smile fell as Evie just got up from the wheelchair, thanking the nurse before heading to the back of the vehicle where Jane was seated inside. Mal looked at Uma regretfully, feeling bad for the pirate.