Breakfast Brawl

Summary: Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos make a birthday breakfast for Ben. Needless to say, four VKs mixed with a domestic task inevitably leads to disaster. Bal and lots of familial fluff.

  "Okay, guys, we've got until, let's see... Ten o'clock sharp to get all of this together," Mal informed the two boys and the girl in front of her. "Think we can handle it?" the purple-haired girl questioned.

The three before her each shared a glance with one another and they all nodded their head in agreement.

"Alright. This is going to perhaps be the most challenging thing that any of us have ever attempted to tackle," Mal walked slowly along in front of them, examining each of their forms.

"We'll face trials, tribulations, and ultimately an enormous mess," Mal paused in front of Evie, facing the wall farthest from her.

"Evie probably won't survive," Mal informed, coolly gazing at the cream-colored walls. Evie immediately paled upon hearing that and her eyes widened as a bewildered grimace made its way onto her face.

"So without further ado," Mal turned to face her troops, eyeing them for the last time before they would be mangled beyond recognition, "let's make breakfast."

"You realize you just wasted this whole brilliant speech on making a birthday breakfast for Ben, right?" Jay asked, an eyebrow raised as he bumped Evie's shoulder gently with his own, stirring her from her mess-induced stupor.

"Shush, shush. Don't ruin the moment," Mal told him. Evie, now shaken from her temporary zoning-out, rolled her eyes and took Mal's arm, pulling her along behind her.

"Let's go, Miss Intense. Carlos and Jay, you guys grab the pancake batter and cook up some pancakes. Mal and I will start trying to make scrambled eggs, sausage, and bacon," Evie told them, with a wide smile. Mal knew Evie had picked for the boys to deal with the messy stuff because Evie was scared of getting batter on her clothes.

Mal got out the frying pan as Evie started looking through the refrigerator.

Today was Ben's birthday, and Mal wanted to give him a perfect start to the day with breakfast in bed. As a result of this, she had woken all of her family at the unreasonable hour of six o'clock in the morning on a Saturday. She knew the boys were lazy, but they didn't have quite as many objections against getting up early as Evie did, so they were mostly easy to get up. She was surprised that Evie had went along with it so easily since she loved her beauty sleep so much, but Mal guessed it wasn't so impressive since Mal knew Evie would do anything to make Mal happy and to help her out.

"Okay, so we need some eggs," Evie murmured, halfway to herself, and disrupted Mal from her thoughts.

"Really? You sure we don't need eggplant instead?" Mal jokingly questioned.

"I'm pretty certain that eggs come from chickens," Evie laughed lightly, keeping her head buried in her task.

Mal nodded in agreement, not really considering that Evie wouldn't be able to see her, and she reached out to turn on the stove. However, as soon as her hand was on the dial, she realized she didn't know what temperature to turn it to.

"Hmm... Evie, what do you think I should turn this to?" Evie peered around the refrigerator door to look at Mal's current situation.

"I don't know. Just put it at really hot." Mal squinted a bit, looking at the temperature options. There were only numbers.

"There's no option for that. There's just a whole lot of degrees."

"Well, try five hundred. That's pretty hot," Evie instructed, and Mal could hear the shrug in her voice.