Urban Cowgirls Part 13

Summary: The girls have gotten fed up with the boys' constant teasing, and they make a bet: the boys pick a place, and the girls will stay there for several days, doing just fine and not chickening out, which will prove their strong independence. Naturally, the place was not what the girls bargained for. Full of friendship feels among the girls with Bal, Huma, Jaudrey, and Jarlos thrown in.

   It was the next morning and Evie was the first one awake. It was earlier than they usually woke up, so she decided that she'd let the rest of them sleep. Evie slowly arose from her place inside Mal's sleeping bag, running a hand through her somewhat tousled, silky hair that was washed just last night.

It had been so pleasant to take a shower after all of that mess with the pigs. She knew that they could have been in some serious danger with those creatures during the nighttime, and it was a real gamble to go out into their sty to get a pair of sunglasses. But she and Audrey had made it, and she was wonderfully thankful for it. It was even kind of thrilling and a bit fun after they were through. But not really that fun.

Evie raised her arms above her head, relaxing as she stretched them as far as they could reach. She looked down at Mal, a soft smile on her face as she gazed at the asleep girl.

Evie gently ran a hand through Mal's hair before getting up from her place in the bag. She walked over to the window slowly, ambling in the aisle between sleeping bags, and she looked out of it.

It was gorgeous outside, and she noticed that the cows were gathered nearby the fence. She smiled widely as she caught just the barest glimpses of a calf that looked similar to the one that they had worked together to birth in the pasture. Evie angled her head, trying to see it just a bit better. However, she very disappointedly noted that she couldn't spot it from her place in the barn.

So Evie decided that she'd go outside and look. Or at least look through the window at the bottom level of the barn so she wouldn't spook them.

Evie snuck past the girls, and climbed down the ladder carefully, her bare feet not making a single sound as she crept. She reached the bottom of the ladder, and she stepped carefully over to the window, her eyes locked on the group of cows.

It was strange. The girls had never stopped to look out the windows of the barn before, much less actually walk up to them, and Evie was pleased to be the first one to make use of them. After all, it was their fourth official day here outside of the evening that they arrived.

However, she was not pleased at all when she suddenly stepped down on something that stabbed into her foot deeply, definitely breaking skin as it lodged itself deeply.

Against her greatest attempts not to, Evie cried out loudly in pain, hitting the ground as she grabbed her ankle tightly in an attempt to avoid her feet. Evie whimpered in pain, her eyes watering as she tried valiantly not to cry.

"Evie? Evie?!" Mal called, out of the bag and leaning over the edge of the ladder on her hands and knees as she looked down to where Evie was.

"Evie! Oh, crap!" Mal immediately climbed down the ladder and ran over to the girl. Uma was quickly behind her, Jane and Audrey coming after the pirate.

Mal got down on her knees next to Evie, grabbing Evie's hands firmly in her own as she tried to pry the girls' fingers away from her foot. She felt her stomach plummet as she spotted a board stuck to the bottom of the girl's foot.

"Evie, let me see," Mal informed her, trying to keep the panic from her voice. This strongly reminded her of when Evie broke her paw as a dog, and it wasn't a good memory to call back at this moment. It turned out okay in the end, but as a human, there were a variety of consequences that could occur. Especially with a board hanging out of the girl's foot.