Roughin' It Part 8

Summary: After Uma boldly and perhaps stupidly proclaims that she could handle camping easily, Mal, Evie, Audrey, Jane, and Uma end up on a camping trip that none of them were prepared for in the least. Friendship feels amongst all three girls, Huma, Jarlos, Jaudrey, Bal, and Hades father/daughter feels with Mal.

   Evie opened her eyes slowly, her eyelids fluttering as she awakened. The first thing that she noticed was that the sun was shining absurdly brightly and that it had quite obviously stopped raining. Evie closed her eyes tightly before reopening them just a bit to adjust to the bright world around her.

The second thing that she noticed was that Mal's hand was still entwined with her own, and she smiled slightly as she looked in Mal's direction blearily.

But the third thing that she noticed was the real shocker.

There outside of her windshield was an enormous black bear snuffling about her Jeep. Evie's eyes went wide, and she was immediately completely awake as she jerked, her grip on Mal's hand tightening ridiculously as she gaped at the sight before her.

Evie's mouth moved for a moment, no sound coming out as she worked Mal's hand around in her own. Mal stirred a bit, and Evie suddenly jumped to action, reaching over and shaking her best friend awake.

"Mal! Wake up! Wake up!!!" Evie cried, glancing between Mal and the bear anxiously, and Mal woke up, trying to ward away her sister's hand as she squinted.

"What is it, Evie?" Mal demanded with her voice rough with sleep, barely awake and in no mood to be awoken in the first place. Evie took Mal's chin in her hand and turned it toward the bear in front of the car. Mal stared for a few beats, but suddenly the situation seemed to dawn upon her, and she looked much more awake as she jerked backward at the sight of the creature.

"Mal, there's a bear!" Evie whisper-yelled, and Mal spared Evie a small glance.

"Yeah, no kidding!" Mal replied in Evie's same tone as she reached back and slapped Uma's knee.

Uma jerked awake, and accidentally jabbed Audrey's cheek with her shoulder. Audrey raised her head quickly from where it had been resting on Uma's shoulder and she rubbed at her cheek painfully, furrowing her brow and eyeing the pirate in irritation.

"What are you doing?!"

"Nothing! You slapped me!" Uma accused, and Audrey recoiled in offense, about to defend herself with that adamance at which she was so talented, but Mal interrupted them, slapping Uma on the knee again as she tried to get the captain's attention.

"Hey, wait, it was you that slapped me!" Uma realized, pointing at the faerie as she glared. Mal rolled her eyes, looking back at the bear.

"Look, kids, we've got bigger problems than whether or not you're getting slapped!" Mal informed her gesturing at the enormous creature outside of the vehicle. Uma furrowed her brow and looked out the windshield along with Audrey. As soon as she saw the bear, she jumped backward and jabbed Audrey in the gut.

"Ouch! Would you stop abusing me?!" Audrey cried, holding her stomach as she glared at the pirate in irritation and not even having a chance to truly react to the bear.

"Hot dang, that's a bear!" Uma cried as she grabbed Audrey' arm impulsively. Jane had somehow or another managed to wake up in the midst of all of this noise, she was practically frozen in terror upon realizing that there was a giant creature outside of their vehicle.

"What are we doing, y'all?" Uma questioned, looking at Mal with a slight question in her eyes. Mal just sucked in a breath and shook her head, watching as the creature stood up on its hind legs to survey the area.