A Black Spot in a Sea of White

Summary: Mal, Evie, and Jay suffer a horrible loss. In memory of Cameron Boyce, forever our one and only Carlos de Vil. Familial feels and seemingly unending angst with an unexpected happy ending.

   "How is he? Where is he?!" Mal demanded as her, Evie, Jay, and Dude stormed into the medical wing. The woman at the receptionist desk looked up at the trio, completely unimpressed by Mal's boisterous entrance.

"Who exactly are you speaking of?"

"Just the only guy in this whole hospital that is currently seizing himself to death!" Mal screeched.

"Are you family?" she questioned, bored with the situation.

It was like a bomb had gone off. Mal immediately felt such anger and frustration that she almost couldn't answer the woman. After a moment of her mouth moving in unmentionable words, she finally was able to speak.

"Of course we are his family. Now tell me where he is!" Mal slammed her fist on the desk, her eyes glowing a dangerous shade of green. Dude barked, emphasizing her hit. The woman immediately looked considerably more afraid.

"The Intensive Care Unit," she stuttered, much more respectfully than before. The threesome immediately took off.

Mal's mind raced, a million regrets floating through her mind. She should have noticed that he seemed sluggish on the field. She should have insisted that he not go to the tournament. She should have known.

This was Carlos. That boy was her little brother. She needed him. Evie needed him. Jay needed him. He was the light of hope and humor that shone bright in their lives. And now, all because of their inattentiveness, he could lose his life.

The three of them burst into the room, an air of purpose surrounding them.

The room was horrifying, sheets separating individual beds. There were frail bodies lying beneath each of those sheets, and she stared at them with wide eyes.

There was a doctor as well as several nurses surrounding one particular bed. Mal stepped forward carefully and she felt Evie grab her hand gently. Jay rested his hand on Mal's shoulder that was opposite to him.

They slowly made the journey to the bed.

A floorboard squeaked and the doctor turned to look at them. He was a gray-haired man with a mean receding hairline. His eyes were crystalline blue and his skin was pale. Combined with his snowy white coat, he seemed to be devoid of any and all color.

Almost like death, Mal couldn't help but think.

His eyes softened somewhat when he saw the three VKs, and he moved over to greet them.

"It's good that you all are here. I am Doctor Mortem. I already know the three of you, being that the lot of you are such an infamous group." He shook the bluenette's hand, and then Evie had to let go of Mal's hand for a moment so that the purple-haired girl could as well. Evie quickly latched back on as soon as Mal was finished. Jay removed his hand from Mal's shoulder to exchange his greetings.

The three of them stared at the man expectantly, simultaneously eager for and dreading the news that was to come.

He eyed them all in turn very slowly with a gravity in his gaze that left Mal with a deep chill in her bones.

"We have had to revive him five times since the incident. His body isn't able to take much more of the stress that comes with the resuscitation, and if we were to attempt it again, it would likely trigger another seizure that would actually succeed in killing him," the doctor paused, sighing as he rubbed his face with a hand. Mal felt the fear inside of her building rapidly.