Girls' Trip Part 9

Jane took the phone to start dialing the number. She sighed heavily, dreading deeply the conversation that was about to follow her call.

"Here goes nothing," she murmured under her breath before pressing the numbers and tapping call.

It rang for a few moments, and to Jane's chagrin, the person on the other end answered.

"Hello? Fairy Godmother's office, how might I help you today?" Fairy Godmother questioned and Jane took in a breath to speak.

"Hi, Mom..."

"Jane! Hi, sweetie, are you at the beach house? Tell me, have you seen any dolphins? And is dear Uma behaving herself with Audrey?" her mother bombarded her with questions. Jane cleared her throat nervously, preparing to finally drop the bomb.

"Well... We didn't exactly make it to the beach house," Jane told her.

"What do you mean? Are you broken down on the side of the road? Jane, dear, don't unlock the doors in case of unsavory characters," Fairy Godmother instructed, and Jane sighed.

"We got pulled over by the police," Jane started, and her mother gasped.

"Is Evie driving like a nutcase again?! Goodness, I know we should've let Jay teach her how to drive instead of Mal."

"She got pulled over for speeding... And we're kind of sort of in," Jane trailed off, glancing around the whole place, "jail..."

"Bibbidi bobbidi, you're where?!" Fairy Godmother nearly deafened Jane's right ear. The blue-eyed girl winced, holding the phone out from her ear in the midst of her mother's screeching.

"Mom, they think we stole stuff from this gas station, and they've brought us in for questioning," Jane explained desperately, knowing that her mother was already past the point of no return as soon as the word jail passed her lips.

"WHAT!" Fairy Godmother cried out. "I can't believe they'd do this! Did you tell them who you were?"

"Yeah, and Mal and Audrey did, too. They didn't believe us... I really thought that they would've recognized Audrey, though."

"Which police station are you at and what's the name of the officer that brought you in?" Fairy Godmother suddenly questioned suspiciously.

"We're in Cinderellasburg. And his name is Barney, I think," Jane told her. Her mother immediately groaned at the name.

"That explains it. Ooh!" Fairy Godmother angrily exclaimed. "That nincompoop! He always used to arrest people before he found all the proof! I guess he's still in the habit of it."

"Can you get Ben and everybody and bring them here to fix this? This stupid police station is keeping us in this holding cell so we don't run away while they're getting ready to question us," Jane informed her, hoping to keep her mother from the rant that was sure to follow.

"Of course, dear, we'll be right there," Fairy Godmother assured her.

They exchanged a few final words and Jane finally hung up.

"'Bout time you were done!" Barney cried out, handcuffing her and pulling her along back to the holding cell.

Jane complied without a protest and soon she was back in the exact same position that she was when she had first mentioned making a call. Barney unlocked her handcuffs and set her free inside the cell with the other four.

Mal immediately stood up and strode over to her, taking her hands.

"Who did you call?" Mal asked, and Jane sighed.