Finding Charlene Part 2

Summary: Evie suffers a horrible accident with her car, and Mal and the others have to handle the consequences. But no one could have expected the horrendous loss than came from that accident.

   "Evie?! What was that sound?! Evie?! EVIE?!" Mal yelled, her voice picking up in volume as she stood up from her seat at Evie's table where she had been waiting on the girl to return.

Click.

Mal pulled the phone away from her phone and looked at it worriedly. She furrowed her brow, feeling her heart rate pick up as she just thought about the sound that she had heard on the other side of the line right before it had hung up.

Mal took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down and just focus on the sound of the rain hitting the windows. It'd be alright. Evie had probably just lost connection in the midst of the heavy rain and the noise could've been static.

But it was the most metal-crunching static noise she had ever heard.

Mal swallowed, deciding she'd just call Evie back to see if she had gotten out of the bad connection zone that she was no doubt in. In fact, Evie was probably in the process of calling her back right now, and they could miss each other by calling at the same time until one of them realized that the other was calling, and then one of them would take the chance that the other one had figured out the situation, and they'd be happily reunited on the phone.

Hopefully.

Mal hit the number at the very top of her contact list, and it started to dial. However, just as soon as she had at least halfway convinced herself of her self-conceived story, the phone went straight to voicemail.

"Hi, this is Evie! If you're Mal, then you just come over. If you're Jay or Carlos, don't worry, I'll be there ASAP to get you out of whatever mess you've gotten into now. And if you're anyone else, please leave a message!" Mal hung up the phone before she could leave a message, and she sighed deeply, furrowing her brow. Her grip tightened on her phone as she studied it for a moment.

That was no big deal. She'd just call back again.

"Hi, this is Evie! If you're Mal, then you just come over. If you're Jay or Carlos, don't worry, I'll be there ASAP---"

Or again.

"Hi, this is Evie! If you're Mal, then---"

Again.

"Hi, this is Evie! If---"

And again.

"Hi, this is---"

Mal didn't realize it, but by now, her hands were almost shaking as she was nearly panicking fully. She couldn't get Evie on the phone, and the last thing she had heard from her best friend was the sound of a crash.

Mal couldn't help but remember her bad feeling that she had perpetually warning Evie of, and how Evie had blown her concerns off with that usual sweet confidence, and how she had told Mal she loved her, and Mal was just so scared right now.

Almost as if she were on autopilot, she found herself texting everyone in their group text as the thunder rolled outside the house.

"Anybody heard about any car wrecks? Answer ASAP," Mal typed, and she somewhat hauntedly noted how Evie had been the last one to sign off of the group chat the last time they had talked.

"Give me a sec, Mal, I'll send out an ask on Auragram," Audrey replied to Mal, and Mal felt her heart warm ever so slightly as the princess was the first to reply.