Urban Cowgirls Part 6

Summary: The girls have gotten fed up with the boys' constant teasing, and they make a bet: the boys pick a place, and the girls will stay there for several days, doing just fine and not chickening out, which will prove their strong independence. Naturally, the place was not what the girls bargained for. Full of friendship feels among the girls with Bal, Huma, Jaudrey, and Jarlos thrown in.

   Mal sat down with a plop on the floor of the barn loft, the other girls changing into their nightclothes around her. However, Uma was nowhere to be seen.

Audrey was rushing through the process, grumbling resentfully the entire time as she reached for a container of lotion in her luggage and furiously rubbed her hands together. Mal didn't know what was up with that, but she couldn't bring herself to care.

Finally, to Mal's surprise, there was a white, fuzzy face that popped up at the top of the ladder. She furrowed her brow as she watched a puppy materialize in the loft. Shortly following the puppy, Uma came up, her face in an ear-splitting grin as she eyed the runt of the litter that she had found.

Mal raised an eyebrow at the pirate as Uma picked up the puppy and rested on her sleeping bag, the roly poly pup resting next to her comfortably. Uma seemed happier than Mal had ever seen her openly display. It was also for purer reasons than Mal had ever seen.

Uma finally felt Mal looking at her as she buried her nose in the fluff covering the puppy's head. Uma pulled away just enough to give Mal a slightly sheepish look.

"She found me," Uma informed Mal in an attempt to think of an excuse for her bringing the puppy up with them.

"And?"

"And she wouldn't let me climb the ladder," Uma lamely finished before averting her eyes and focusing on the puppy before her instead of Mal.

Mal just rolled her eyes, entirely too tired and her hands entirely too sore to worry about Uma's silly puppy business.

Evie ambled over to Mal, sliding down and plopping down next to her as she rested her head heavily on Mal's shoulder.

Mal looked at Evie with a slight chuckle.

"So you're back, huh?"

"You were right. I am not a strong and independent woman."

"It's okay, E, you are a strong and independent woman everywhere else in life," Mal placatingly reassured the slightly older girl as she leaned her head against Evie's lovingly. Evie just sighed, her sweet chocolate eyes moving up to meet Mal's emerald ones.

"Don't patronize me," Evie pouted, and Mal reached her hand up, patting Evie's cheek that was opposite to Mal as she tried to make the poor girl feel better.

"I would never dream of it," Mal told her playfully seriously, and Evie smiled slightly as Mal reached out and took her hand. As soon as Mal's hand met Evie's, Evie winced in pain, trying to hide it the best that she could. However, Mal quickly noticed.

"Wait, what's going on with your hands? They're not as soft as usual," Mal mentioned, taking Evie's hand and turning it over. To her surprise, Evie's hands were swollen horrendously with blisters on the heels of her palms and on her fingers and upper hands.

"Evie, what happened?"

"The shovel," Evie admitted, and Audrey immediately stared at the bluenette.

"You weren't supposed to tell them!" Audrey cried in a loud whisper, and Evie offered her a slightly apologetic glance, but mostly centered her attention upon the girl sitting next to her.