Can't You See What I See?

Summary: It all starts when Evie lightens her hair to baby blue and begins wearing a corset. That's when Mal knew something was terribly and truly wrong with her sister. Mentions of Bal, but Mal and Evie sister/best friend feels are abundant as well as a large dose of angst. Warning: there are heavy topics surrounding eating disorders in this. 

   It was finally summer break for the kids at Auradon Prep, and Mal and Evie were planning to go out to the Waffle Hut and meet the boys so they could fully enjoy their first day of it.

At this moment, Mal was currently waiting for Evie to get out of the bathroom so that Mal could get in the shower as Evie had been doing for the past forever.

"Hey, you about out yet?!" Mal finally called from her spot lounged on her bed where she was intently drawing on her latest masterpiece.

She had been working on it for quite some time and it was truly one of her favorite drawings so far. Everything about it seemed to scream the subject perfectly.

"Yeah, M! Give me just one sec," Evie replied, yelling a bit so that she could be heard over the hair dryer. Mal raised an eyebrow in response as she drew gentle lines in experimentation before solidifying them into harder, more grounded lines.

"I was just wondering if I should call 9-1-1!" Mal raised her voice in a sarcastic quip. Evie didn't respond, but Mal could practically feel the heavy eyeroll. Mal smirked victoriously, knowing that she had achieved the response for which she had aimed.

There were a few more moments that passed before Evie finally came out of the bathroom. Mal kept her eyes on her drawing for a few moments, doing some final checks.

"Finally through, are you?" Mal questioned without looking up.

"Yeah. Sorry I took so long. I know you're after a shower, too," Evie told Mal, an apologetic tone lacing her words. The faerie smiled softly, knowing Evie hadn't meant to spend an hour and a half in the bathroom. After all, Evie always had enjoyed her exceedingly long showers now that she was living in Auradon.

"It's okay, E, don't worry about--" Mal immediately froze as her eyes settled upon a brand-new Evie with a horrifying and prominent change to her head.

"What happened to your hair?!" Mal yelped as she stared at Evie in complete horror as the bluenette stood there before the foot of the bed. Evie just smiled one of those enormous grins that showcased all of her teeth, and she ran her hand through her now baby blue tresses.

"Nothing. I lightened it. What do you think? I really believe it brings out my eyes and kind of gives me a softer, more Auradon look," Evie told Mal, and the faerie swallowed hard, trying to control her initial impulse to tell Evie how freakishly unnatural that the color looked.

"It's... new," Mal finally commented, hoping that would be enough to satiate Evie's need for praise. Evie just beamed at Mal before losing a bit of her smile as she looked in the mirror. Mal furrowed her brow, tilting her head slightly as she looked at Evie examining her body.

However, before she could focus on it for too long, Evie suddenly brightened and turned away from the mirror, looking at Mal proudly.

"I really think this is a good change for me," Evie told her happily, coming over and hugging Mal tightly from her position there on the bed. Mal returned it easily, knowing Evie so loved hugs, but was reeling the entire time.

Mal was completely baffled by the sudden lack of color in Evie's hair and she quite honestly didn't like this new washed-out look. It was Mal's conviction that Evie was most gorgeous when her hair was that stunning natural shade of navy blue.