Just Us

Summary: Evie has awoken to her first thunderstorm in Auradon. She's scared, but there's someone else quite possibly more terrified than Evie. Just some shameless Mal and Evie best friend/sister fluff and some Core Four family stuff, too.

   Evie woke up with a start, staring out the window with wide eyes as she fearfully took in the heavy rain and the thunder outside. Evie furrowed her brow, feeling her heart race a little at the mighty and loud sounds just beyond their room.

She breathed deeply, trying to calm herself despite her great fear at being in a brand new place and experiencing one of the worst storms that she had ever seen. It's not that the Isle didn't have bad storms, but usually, there was so much overhanging buildings and deep, hidden areas that one could usually avoid the heavy rain that seemed to simply add to the scariness of the thunder and lightning.

Evie, Mal, Jay, and Carlos had only been in Auradon for a few weeks now, and Evie for some reason, hadn't thought that there were ever storms in Auradon. She didn't know what sort of stupidity and naivete had dictated that belief, but nevertheless, this had been her true conviction that had successfully lulled her into a false sense of security.

But she guessed that storms were obviously not common in Auradon if the several weeks without them were anything to go by.

She worked to call back to mind what she usually did when she was afraid of some of the biggest storms on the Isle. Usually, if she were alone, she would hide beneath the covers or try to find the deepest part of her castle to hide within.

However, if she were with Mal or the boys, she would always kind of linger near them and sit close by. Or at least, as close as it was acceptable considering that everyone knew there was no cuddling or anything on the Isle. Despite how much Evie would like to and how much she could see in the other's eyes that they wanted to.

So Evie immediately thought of her roommate and best friend, and she turned to look to the other girl's bed. To her surprise and fear, Mal wasn't there at all. Evie swallowed, about to step over the side of the bed to approach Mal's bed before it suddenly occurred to her that someone was sitting there on the floor right next to Evie's bed.

Evie almost yelped in fear and shock, but she quickly realized that it was Mal herself, almost curled up with her knees to her chest as she pushed her back against Evie's bed.

"M?" Evie questioned softly, one of the slightly quieter rumbles of thunder sounding off. Mal never looked up at Evie, and Evie quickly noticed that the girl was shaking. Evie gently pushed the sheets and blankets off of her and withdrew her legs from underneath the covers. She then placed her feet on the floor next to Mal and she slid down the edge of the bed so that she could sit with Mal.

Evie looked over at Mal, and the girl was just staring at her bed blankly, looking completely and utterly terrified. Evie hesitantly reached out to touch Mal's hand, and as soon as she placed her hand on that of the other girl's, Mal jumped in shock as she looked to Evie, trembling.

Evie felt a sharp stab in her heart to see the other girl's easily observable fear.

"Evie?" Mal murmured in the quietest of questions. Evie nodded easily, squeezing Mal's hand slightly. Mal started to move toward the bluenette, but she stopped herself quickly, looking down to her feet as if she were ashamed of herself.

Evie tilted her head slightly. She knew that Mal always hated to show any weakness, and she never wanted to get physically close to anyone in fear of exhibiting the very sentiment she hated with such a passion.

But Evie didn't want Mal to feel that she couldn't show that fear in front of Evie. She wanted Mal to feel safe sharing all of her fears, joys, and just feelings in general.