Urban Cowgirls Part 5

Summary: The girls have gotten fed up with the boys' constant teasing, and they make a bet: the boys pick a place, and the girls will stay there for several days, doing just fine and not chickening out, which will prove their strong independence. Naturally, the place was not what the girls bargained for. Full of friendship feels among the girls with Bal, Huma, Jaudrey, and Jarlos thrown in.

   Before long they reached the barn, and Evie spotted the shovels leaning against the side of the barn just outside of the door, just as George had said they'd be. Evie grabbed the shovels, handing one to Audrey as Evie handed Audrey the pitchfork as well.

"Let's see what's inside," Evie spoke as she pulled open the barn door with her free hand. The both of them went in, and Audrey immediately recognized the scent of horses. And the scent of their poop, she thought to herself as she wrinkled her nose.

Evie leaned over the doors of the stalls on the left side, checking to see how much the two would need to clean up. Audrey was still having a mental meltdown at the fact that she was going to have to clean up the poop, and she swiftly leaned the pitchfork and the shovel against the wood of the stalls.

Evie then looped over to the right side, realizing that as she went from stall to stall that the amount of poop seemed to get increasingly greater.

When she was through looking, she stood there beside Audrey. From an outsider's point of view, the two rhinestone cowgirls were a rather strange sight in the rustic look of the barn.

"We might as well get to work. But we need something to put the poop in," Evie trailed off, looking around as she tried to find something that would work. It then occurred to her that there was a wheelbarrow nearby, and she hurried over, pushing it over nearby where they were working.

Evie opened the door and started into her shoveling.

"I am a princess!!!" Audrey declared, watching Evie with a steady whine building in her voice. Evie shook her head, trying to bend properly in the outfit she was wearing. As much as she loathed to admit it, Mal was right about the clothes. They were very constricting and uncomfortable when doing farm work.

"I was, too, but then I moved here," Evie offhandedly commented as she heaved another almost overflowing shovelful of horse droppings. Audrey was immediately returned to the first day that all of the VKs had arrived when she had informed Evie that she had no royal status in Auradon. She felt a rebuilding sense of guilt after Evie had said it so nonchalantly.

"You know, I really am sorry for saying that to you when you first came here," Audrey sincerely spoke, fully expecting Evie to respond with at least a hint of bitterness. However, Evie instead offered her a sweet, accepting smile as she shoveled.

"I know, and it's okay," Evie reassuringly spoke, and Audrey stared at the bluenette for a moment, feeling more intrigued by her than ever before.

Evie had this motherly quality that was just absolutely shocking to see from a girl that was not too far from Audrey's age. It was comforting, and it somehow made Audrey immediately more comfortable with her, despite the fact that she hadn't had very many one-on-one conversations with Evie.

"I still feel bad," Audrey continued, and Evie shook her head, that caring smile still illuminating her face.

"Well, why don't you help me with this, and we'll say we're even?" Evie offered, and Audrey eyed the shovel leaning against the wood with dread.

"Couldn't I feel less bad some other way?"

"This is the only way I can think of right now, and there's no use in keeping negativity in you for any longer than you have to," Evie informed her, not a trace of insincerity in her voice or the slightest hint of the possibility that she was just trying to get Audrey to hurry up and help. Audrey eyed the bluenette curiously and picked up the shovel with great distaste before helping the other girl scoop the waste into the wheelbarrow.