Genevieve Labrador Part 12

Summary: Evie and Mal are looking for Mal's spell book that Celia has stolen again when a certain mishap occurs... A hairy mishap that Mal and Evie very unfortunately have to deal with. Bal, Huma, Jaudrey, Jarlos, and Core Four feels with a special emphasis on Evie and Mal's sisterly/best friend relationship.

   Uma and Mal sat together in silence, all of the stuffing and the leftover fabric crammed into plastic bags lying in a big pile near the door. Uma was on one end of Mal's new couch, and Mal was on the other end of it.

Ben had quickly left after he, Mal, and Uma had picked up the fluff, an excuse on his tongue about how he had to go and check some things at his office. Mal knew better, but she didn't call him out on it. As for Uma, Mal didn't have any idea why she was still there.

Mal absently picked at the gray dog hairs peppering her side of the couch, thankful that Evie hadn't chewed the pillows or anything on this particular sofa and had only shed on it.

It had made Mal so mad to find her entire parlor devoid of any pillows and covered in a ridiculous coating of stuffing. Of course, it was something that had been building up since the very first moment that she had found out Evie was a dog. All of the frustration, all of the fear, all of the aggravation, all of the humor, all of the stress- it just came in one giant blowout.

But it was at the person that had caused it all completely unintentionally and didn't deserve a word of the explosion.

Mal sighed, starting to feel worse and worse as she remembered just how stricken and grieved that Evie looked at Mal's scolding. Mal shut her eyes hard, trying to get the memory of Evie cowering there before her out of her brain. Instead, it seemed to just brand it more fully.

Uma was right. Mal did get out of hand and Evie certainly didn't deserve it. Evie was innocent because it was that blasted dog living inside of her that was causing all of the trouble. Evie didn't know how to control it, and to be honest, Mal wouldn't know if she were the one that was a dog. Mal knew she had been mean and harsh to Evie, and she shouldn't have been. Of all things, Mal had scolded Evie as if she were a dog, which was surely humiliating for the slightly older girl.

Evie was among the few people that Mal loved dearly, and Mal couldn't believe that she had treated her best friend, sister, and confidant in such a way as she had. Mal swallowed hard before daring the barest of glances at Uma.

The pirate captain was just sitting there, seething quietly as she stared at a spot on the ground nearby. Mal couldn't blame her at all for being so mad. Mal had went totally overboard and Uma was the only one who had the guts to say it. Besides, Mal deserved it for how she treated Evie. Mal wasn't really sure why Uma was even still here.

Mal chewed her gum tentatively, working the words around in her mouth before actually voicing them.

"I think I'm an idiot," Mal informed the other girl, and Uma looked over at her with a non-genuine laugh at the faerie's expense.

"Took you this long to figure it out, huh?" Uma questioned, and Mal could see Uma's barely controlled urge to snap further. Mal knew that Uma was absolutely infuriated because Uma was actually in fact quite fond of Evie. Once someone made it past Uma's hard outer shell, she would protect them with everything she had. Even if it meant protecting them from someone that was equally as or more close with Uma.

"Look... I was a jerk, and I shouldn't have talked to her that way," Mal informed the other girl honestly, and Uma just silently stared at her, the anger very much still evident in her. Mal sighed, meeting the pirate captain's eyes.