Genevieve Labrador Part 13

Summary: Evie and Mal are looking for Mal's spell book that Celia has stolen again when a certain mishap occurs... A hairy mishap that Mal and Evie very unfortunately have to deal with. Bal, Huma, Jaudrey, Jarlos, and Core Four feels with a special emphasis on Evie and Mal's sisterly/best friend relationship.

Mal opened her eyes expectantly as her alarm on her phone went off. She reached over to the nightstand, turning off her phone as she swung her legs over so that they were dangling off the edge of the bed.

She held her head in her hands for a moment as she sighed deeply and fully, offering herself a moment to collect herself in preparation for the day. Mal had hardly gotten a single wink of sleep that night because every time she shut her eyes, Evie's stricken face haunted her mind and soul, sending her into another spiral of concern and fear.

Mal stood up, shaking at Ben's leg to wake him up. He groaned deeply, rolling over onto his stomach as he tried to wake up.

"Gosh, I didn't sleep a bit," Ben complained, and Mal chuckled at him humorlessly.

"Yeah. Come on, we've got to get ready," Mal informed him shortly. He eventually arose, and they were soon both getting dressed to go out looking at the shelters. Ben wordlessly made some toast and they swiftly crammed it down their throats.

Ben headed for the bathroom, and Mal followed him in after a moment, the both of them planning to brush their teeth before leaving. Mal walked in and she froze as soon as her eyes settled upon Ben using his toothbrush in his mouth. Mal gaped at him, her eyes wide as she remembered exactly where it had been and how she had forgotten to throw it away.

"What?" Ben questioned, his mouth full of foam as he expressed his confusion with both eyebrows raised curiously. Mal shook herself from her stupor, deciding not to say anything about where the toothbrush had found itself the previous morning.

"Nothing. Just thinking of something," Mal casually said, so that he perhaps wouldn't suspect anything. After all, it wouldn't be too kind to explain to him that his toothbrush was completely ruined with toilet water just as it was halfway down his throat.

They finished brushing their teeth, and just as Ben went out of the bathroom, Mal threw the toothbrush in the garbage can. They then headed out the door, texting Uma to meet them outside of the castle.

Everyone else wanted to come with them as well but had some reason or another why they could not. Audrey, Carlos, and Jane had school that day and were supposed to be looking for the spell book while they were there. Jay had a big Tourney game that he couldn't miss despite how hard he tried to convince the coach. As for Uma's crewmates, the pirate captain had officially grounded Harry and Gil to the house after Harry had received yet another ticket after last night to add to his humongous pile.

They opened the great doors to the castle and reached the top of the staircase. As Mal looked down at the driveway nearby, she felt her heart warm at the sight of Uma leaning against her Hummer, mostly alert besides a few yawns. Ben and Mal started down the stairs, and Uma's gaze flicked over to them.

She offered them a somewhat hopeful smile.

"You ready?" Uma checked, and they both nodded silently, too tired to really say anything to her at all.

Ben clambered in the backseat, yawning heavily as he tried to keep awake, and Mal got into the passenger seat. Uma started the car and they were on their way to the largest shelter in the city, and therefore the shelter that Evie would most likely be at if she had been captured by the dog catcher.