Weak Ankles

Summary: Evie hurts her ankle and Mal defends her. Even at the possible expense of her own reputation on the Isle. It's sort of a sequel to my other story "Healing," but it's more of a flip-side to it than a sequel. Sisterly/best friend fluff.

   Mal and Evie were currently having their usual girl's time out as they did every day that them and the boys split up to look for some trouble around the Isle.

Evie was right behind her- Mal could hear her- as they ran through the alley with agility that could rival even that of the boys.

The purple-haired girl dodged past a barrel and, just for the fun of it, climbed up a nearby makeshift shack and landed quickly back on the ground. She turned her head to look at the people that had reacted. Mal threw her head back and laughed gleefully at the faces of disdain, irritation, and hatred.

She turned toward Evie, running backwards, and high-fived her. Mal then continued running in her previous forward direction. She knew she was approaching the end of the alley, so she sped up as fast as she could, fast approaching the wood barrier blocking the alley off from the main square.

Mal easily scaled the wood railing, hoisting herself over with her hand as she entered the marketplace. A wicked grin crawled onto her features, a perfect plan to disrupt the entire peace coming into place within her mind almost immediately.

However, her scheming was brought to a halt almost as quickly as it had begun when a noise of strangled pain came from the person behind her. Mal turned toward her quickly, staring at her with a mildly concerned expression.

Evie's eyes turned huge as she started scrambling to get up. However, she quickly stopped, her visage contorted into a barely controlled expression of pain as she subtly grasped at her ankle.

Mal felt her heart twist with something odd that she hadn't ever felt before. It was a strange feeling, but Mal supposed it had to have been sympathy.

Naturally this was a very foreign emotion to her. Don't help others, don't feel for others. Help yourself, feel for yourself, her mother's mantra repeated over and over in her head, pushing her to fight whatever softness she had for the other girl's plight.

Mal glanced about, noticing that everyone in the marketplace was staring or even hatefully glaring at Evie. She glanced back at the bluenette sitting on the ground in pain, desperately trying to get up as she continued to embarrass herself in front of everyone.

Mal started to walk toward her, but she quickly stopped, her mother's incessantly-drilled training making itself known once again. Mal looked down into Evie's face and noted the fear, the humiliation, and the self-hatred that was there.

Those were emotions that she actually was well-familiar with. Every one of them were common within herself.

Evie's eyes met Mal's and she seemed to recognize the internal struggle that the purple-haired girl was suffering. She tried to muster an elegant smile and reposition herself, but the smile quickly dissipated into a grimace.

Mal then knew what she would do. Who cared what her mother thought? And everyone else? She'd get her punishment from her mother, but she needed to help Evie.

Striding over to stand in front her friend, she turned and gave everyone that was looking a horrid glare. They all seemed a little bewildered, but only a select few looked away.

"What are you all looking at? Mind your own business," Mal snarled, yelling loudly at the crowd that was gathered. Everyone jumped in shock and returned back to what they had been doing, purchasing canned, mostly-soiled food from salesmen.