Soul-Shattering

Summary: Evie misinterprets a conversation between Audrey and Mal and believes that her best friend in the entire world has turned her back on her, leaving Mal completely confused. Mal and Evie sisterly feels.

    "Honestly, do you have any idea how much I hate picnicking with his family? It's so awkward. I don't think they even like me," Mal lamented as she walked with Evie, her arm linked with the bluenette's.

"M, I'm sure they'll come to love you. Belle likes you already. Adam's just a harder nut to crack. It'll be okay," Evie reassured, leaning her head against Mal's as they made their way down the halls.

"Y'know, we could just stay at our dorm and leave the boys to fend for themselves under the Beast's ever-critical eye," Mal begged for what felt like the millionth time. And for what felt like the millionth time, Evie simply shook her head and urged the shorter girl along.

"Come on. We've already come this far."

So far, throughout the entire trip to the courtyard where Ben's parents, the boys, and Ben himself were waiting, Mal had been resisting and Evie had been pulling. It wasn't that Mal didn't like Ben's parents. It was just that they didn't seem to like her one bit, so therefore it made her extra nervous when she had to talk to them.

One screwup and she could wreck her whole relationship with Ben. More importantly, she could wreck Evie, Jay, and Carlos' reputations and she could cause them to be sent back to the Isle.

So no pressure. No pressure at all when she saw Ben's parents. Just the fate of all the things she holds dear to her resting on her shoulders alone.

"Evie, we're not even halfway there yet," Mal pulled back a bit, trying to think of a reason as to why they couldn't go right then. There was surely a way to convince Evie that they needed to go back to their dorm. It would be a win-win. They could get whatever she "forgot" and Mal could delay the unfortunately inevitable.

Maybe it was really just a win on the faerie's behalf, since it would only give Mal an advantage...

"See? That's why we need to keep going," Evie instructed, tugging harder on Mal's arm that was attached to her own.

"Wait, we need to go back and get something," Mal suddenly stopped and Evie was forced to halt beside her. Even though it was her own scheme, Mal couldn't help but grin guiltily when Evie raised her eyebrow with that unimpressed expression that she pulled off so well.

"Mhmm, and just what would that be?" Evie questioned. Mal's mind raced, trying desperately to think of something. The only thing that she could think of was her phone, which she had left on purpose because of worrying that Adam and Belle would think she was rude.

"My phone," Mal blurted out, quickly attempting to appear casual after she had said it in such a hurry. "Never know if I might need it in case of emergency," Mal flashed a wide grin in the bluenette's direction.

Evie's arched eyebrow raised even higher if that was humanly possible.

Mal internally willed herself not to crack under Evie's watch. This was her one and only chance to avoid Ben's parents for a moment longer. It also was her only chance to possibly escape.

"I'll go get it for you. You stay here," Evie firmly told her after several moments and a good, long, skeptical stare. Mal resisted the urge to exhale in relief as she smirked at Evie.

"As you wish," Mal noncommittally replied, already concocting a plan inside of her mischievous little brain.

"I'm serious. Promise me you'll be in this exact spot the whole time I'm gone and when I get back," Evie commanded, pointing her finger at the purple-haired girl.