Independence Day

Summary: Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos all go to see Jafar, Grimhilde the Evil Queen, and Cruella de Vil. The visit does not go well, but each of the VKs learn something wholly valuable. Core Four fluff and tons of angst and feels.

   "Gosh, am I nervous," Carlos spoke up with a chuckle, and Mal looked back at him and Jay with small grin as she squeezed Evie's very sweaty hand in her own.

"C'mon, bro, she can't hurt you anymore. You're an adult," Jay replied, ruffling the de Vil boy's hair. Carlos furrowed his brow, fixing his hair back into place as he shot a dirty look in Jay's direction.

"I'd beg to differ with that statement," Evie pointed out with a slight laugh and Mal grinned at the girl as she tried to keep her grip on Evie's hand as steady as it had been when they were in the limo. She really had nothing to worry about considering the fact that Evie had ahold of her so tightly.

"Oh, come on, E. Take it a little easy on them. Everybody knows that boys don't mature as fast as girls," Mal pointed out with a teasing smile that was a bit dampened by the entire energy of nervousness and apprehension that seemed to be charging the air around them.

The four VKs had all decided that today was the day, and it was the time to finally do it. They had all gotten into Mal's purple limo that Ben had purchased for her, and they had headed to the freshly reopened Isle of the Lost to meet Carlos's, Evie's, and Jay's parents for the first time since they had went to Auradon.

Evie was a nervous wreck and had not let go of Mal's hand the entire trip over. Carlos had been perpetually jabbering, and Jay had been relatively light about the entire situation despite the fact that his jaw had been unnaturally tensed in his times of quiet.

For her part, Mal was nervous for her brothers and sister. She really hoped that their parents had changed like Mal's father had, but she was scared of more likely possibility that they had not. After all, her father had not actually ever changed in the sense of his feelings toward Mal, and Mal's mother had not hardly changed and she was morphed into a lizard, so she had additional motivation to change her ways. But Mal did have to give it to her. Maleficent had grown her heart just enough that she could now talk. Unfortunately.

But she knew that Jay, Carlos, and Evie had to do this. They had to have closure that they never had. They didn't get the same sort of resolve as Mal had. After expressing precisely how she had felt about both parents, Mal had actually gained a father and Mal had turned her mother into a lizard, while Carlos, Evie, and Jay had all left their parents without another word outside of promises of wand-stealing and a small blow-up on Family Day at Auradon Prep.

They needed this visit.

"Where are we meeting them again?" Carlos questioned, and Evie patiently answered him.

"At the top floor of the Bargain Castle."

"Of course. Where they always met with Maleficent," Carlos pointed out, and Mal nodded in simple reply.

"Hey, it's good news, though. We're here," Jay announced with a strained enthusiasm that indicated that he was anything but thrilled.

Evie's hand tightened in Mal's ridiculously to the point that Mal couldn't help but wonder if she'd leave bruises in her wake. She could practically feel Carlos's slight trembling and Jay's tenseness.

After a long moment of taking in the fearsome sight of her old house, she cleared her throat and looked at the others with a slight smile.

"Well... You ready?" Mal questioned, glancing at all of them and resting her gaze upon Evie finally. Everyone nodded, and Evie's warm brown eyes bored holes into Mal's emerald green ones.