Little Black Cootie

Summary: When Evie comes home to try to find Mal to work on the girl's dress, Evie finds a completely new surprise... Complete sisterly feels and absolutely no romantic sentiment.

  "Hey, Mal?" Evie strode into their dorm, looking around as she sat her purse and freshly-purchased silky fabric down on the vanity nearby.

To her slight aggravation, no one seemed to be there, much less her stubborn roommate. She huffed.

"Aaaaaand she's nowhere in sight," Evie shrugged her shoulders and gestured at the room.

There was going to be a party held by Audrey next weekend and Evie absolutely had to have Mal so that she could work on the purple-haired girl's dress. Not that Mal was particularly looking forward to going or even desiring to go, but Evie didn't want to go by herself and didn't want Mal to be home alone.

But every single time Evie decided it was time to finally make some adjustments to the dress, Mal always found some sort of convenient reason that she definitely couldn't show up.

Evie muttered aggravatedly under her breath as she sat down at the vanity with a grumpy expression. Upon glancing at herself, almost instinctively, she forced the look off of her face and put on a neutral expression as she gazed at her visage in the mirror.

"Frowning causes wrinkles," Evie recited habitually, remembering what her mother had drilled in her head. She quickly berated herself, however, upon the recollection that she didn't have to follow her mother's rules anymore.

It was humiliating, really. How undetached she felt from her mother. None of the rest of her family seemed to be suffering from anything like this. Mal was strong and stoic as ever- a little stressed but very much firm in her stance of good. Carlos seemed to have all but forgotten about the Isle. Jay was glad to be free from his father's influence.

What was wrong with her, then?

Knowing that this was starting to lead down a greatly familiar path of self-hatred and belittling, she shook herself from her thoughts and returned to the task that she had resolved to begin. In an attempt to distract herself from her thoughts, Evie hummed to herself as she set to sewing a sash for a dress that she was working on for some Auradon girl. She quickly called back to mind the name- Princess Ruby of Corona, Princess Rapunzel's daughter, Evie thought.

She felt so strange. It was mind-boggling to really be on the good team for once. Evie supposed she had always secretly fantasized about the wonders of real, live, beautiful fashion and great castles and a wonderful place where her and her most loved people didn't have to fear anyone or anything.

But it was still hard to deal with sometimes. She had been raised in a quite... rough area.

Evie quickly hemmed the rough edges of the snowy white sash, taking great care not to prick her finger with the needle as she thought about the true need for supplies and how she was eventually going to need to charge for her dresses. She should really start a business...

However, what she certainly didn't expect was for something that felt quite similar to needles to stab into her calf and start moving up her leg.

Evie shot up, her project completely forgotten as she hopped around the room and screeched hysterically.

"AAAAAAAAHHH!!!!! GET IT OFF!!!!!!!!!" Evie screamed, shaking her legs around and not even looking at what ghastly creature had attached itself to her leg.

It was going to kill her, and she had absolutely no choice in the matter. It was an awful way to die. She always imagined going more honorably than this. She hoped her family would remember her fondly.