Finding Charlene Part 3

Summary: Evie suffers a horrible accident with her car, and Mal and the others have to handle the consequences. But no one could have expected the horrendous loss than came from that accident.

   "Holy shidooky, we're going to die!" Uma cried as she held onto the "oh-poop" handle as if it was her lifeline. Mal rolled her eyes, cutting another corner and nearly jumping the curb as she sped on the road.

"I've got to get to Evie. She's had a wreck. I've told you this," Mal replied in something that was almost a mantra, her mind on one track. She'd worry about her sheer terror, panic, and sickness to her stomach once she had reached Evie.

Uma had sent a group text to everyone and let them know what was going on with them and the situation with Evie, and everyone was supposed to come to hospital as soon as they could. Unfortunately for them, the hospital was a good forty-five minutes from Evie's house. Mal had been terrified this entire time and she had been rushing down the road as fast as she could possibly make the small vehicle go.

By now, Mal's blood on her hand had dried and the wounds from the glass were clotted up. However, the wounds hurt when she flexed her hand a bit too hard, but she couldn't worry about that. After all, she had much worse.

"Yeah, but we're fixin' to have a wreck if you don't slow down some!" Uma proclaimed, and Mal set her jaw as she careened down the road at the speed of light.

They drove in silence for a few moments, but Mal must have looked a bit more perturbed than she thought she was letting show, because Uma cleared her throat.

"Umm... You wanna talk? Or something?" Uma asked, and Mal's gaze hardened as she tried to keep the more rationally functioning part of her brain at the forefront of her focus. However, she couldn't quite ignore the opportunity to talk to someone about all of this.

"What if she's not okay, Uma?" Mal questioned, allowing a bit of her fear to tremble through her. She felt Uma's gaze heavily on the side of her face.

"Hey, I'm sure she'll be fine," Uma told her, an easiness in her voice that Mal was not sure was entirely genuine.

"What if she needs operating on?" Mal asked, and Uma shook her head insistently in reply.

"No, of course not. I'm sure that's not---"

"What if she has to be put on life support?!" Mal demanded, getting increasingly upset about the entire ordeal as she grew nearer to the hospital complex.

"What if they put her on life support... and she won't wake up?" Mal whispered, not wanting to face this fear, but finding herself unable to avoid expressing it.

To her surprise, after a few moments, she felt Uma's hand on her shoulder. Mal's gaze snapped to Uma's for a moment before returning to the road. However, in that short glance, Mal could see the intense care in Uma's eyes.

"She'll be alright, Dragon. She'll be alright. I promise," Uma assured Mal. Before she could consider these words for much longer, she realized that her turn had come upon her quicker than expected, and she wheeled over into the hospital parking lot. Uma immediately released Mal's shoulder and used both hands to cling to the "oh, poop" handle.

She had no time to dwell on her fears for now because she was about to find out where Evie was. Which meant she was about to see Evie for better or for worse.

And Mal was so terrified it'd be for worse.

Mal pulled in front of the hospital and screeched to a stop before the doors. She wasted no time in snatching open her door and slamming it behind her. The poor valet was standing there in something between horror and awe, and Mal shoved her keys at him before charging through the doors.