Urban Cowgirls Part 10

Summary: The girls have gotten fed up with the boys' constant teasing, and they make a bet: the boys pick a place, and the girls will stay there for several days, doing just fine and not chickening out, which will prove their strong independence. Naturally, the place was not what the girls bargained for. Full of friendship feels among the girls with Bal, Huma, Jaudrey, and Jarlos thrown in.

   When Uma woke up that morning much too early, she knew something wasn't quite right. However, there was not a single thing that indicated it. She sat up, brushing the white dog hairs off of her where she had brought the puppy up for a visit last night, and she rubbed at her eyes, noticing that everyone else's alarms were going off as well.

Last night, as they were feasting upon Evie's gargantuan catfish, George had informed them that they would be getting started earlier than usual today. The reason why was not revealed, despite how interested the five were in the mystery of it all.

Uma sighed, noticing that the alarms were turning off as everybody woke up. Uma yawned widely, still a little bewildered at the feeling of dread that she was experiencing, and she pulled on her daytime clothes slowly.

Evie prodded Mal awake gently, Mal slapping at her hand just barely as she tried to stay in the bed just for a few moments longer. Evie lightly smacked Mal's hand in response, still too tired to make good sense of everything, and the bluenette turned to put on her clothes.

Audrey was still lying there snoring, and her alarm was making an incessant noise. Uma rolled her eyes, tapping the button to turn it off before taking Audrey's clothes and dropping the pile on the princess's face. Miraculously, that somehow woke up the normally unawakenable girl, and Audrey snorted, pushing the clothes off of her face with a gasp.

"Mornin'," Uma slurred, sleep still addling her slightly, and Audrey narrowed her eyes and set her jaw in irritation, getting her clothes on as well.

Before long, they were all inside the house, eating some eggs that Audrey had fought the chickens for once again today. Uma still had that feeling of impending doom weighing her down, and she couldn't figure out for the life of her what could be awry.

They were all eating some French toast and a bit of eggs, and they were seated at the table in their usual fashion with Anne. However, after George didn't come for a little while, Evie furrowed her brow, looking around.

"Where's George?" Evie asked after a moment, realizing that the old man wasn't coming in to eat.

"Oh, he doesn't like to eat before heading out. He says it's bad luck. Especially with what y'all are doing today," Anne mumbled the last part, and Uma was stuck on the particular phrase "heading out." She furrowed her brow, really hoping that she meant heading out in the old truck that they had sitting around the farm.

"What are we doing today?" Mal asked curiously, and Anne just gave her an odd, tight-lipped smile, and returned to her food, her eyes sparkling as she kept the secret from them.

Everyone finished their food slowly but surely, and at Anne's instruction, headed out toward the horse fence. Uma was really hoping that George was just checking on the creatures before they left in the truck, and she followed the group hesitantly.

Uma happened to catch a bit of movement on her side, and she saw that there was a goose walking next to her. It was Elmer, and she raised an eyebrow, following his line of focus. Her eyes quickly settled on a blue-haired target, and she sighed with a slight laugh.

"I think you need to leave her alone. You're going to give her a mental breakdown, you know?" Uma informed the bird, and he just looked at her strangely. Uma shook her head, smiling at the entire situation.