Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

Summary: As one of Auradon's last hopes for keeping the enemy at bay, Harry's heading off with Uma to be stationed for one year to lead a military outpost in the war against the insurgency of villains. Evie's not doing well at all. Hevie or Harry x Evie in an Auradon Civil War AU. It is not connected to any of my main fanfics.

"Take me with you!" Evie came to a screeching halt on the dock just by the ship an oddly desperate look on her face as she held out a hand in his direction. Only her head and shoulders were visible to any spectators upon the ship's deck. Harry turned to look at her and his expression softened as he took a few steps so he could see her better over the edge of the ship. He bent over and placed his elbows on the railing.

"Me love. Ye came," he happily acknowledged as he regarded her with a subdued happiness. Harry didn't really think she would after the massive blowout she had last night with the stress of the entire ordeal. After all, he wasn't doing so well either with all of this.

"Of course," she quietly assured him before launching into a more desperate plea.

"I can't let you go! I can go to the outpost with you and help where I can. Provide medical care, something. I just can't be without you!" Evie frantically cried out. He quietly watched her for several long moments before shaking his head.

"I can't. It's dangerous, an' besides, I can't take ye away from yer family here. From yer duties," Harry told her, taking her outstretched hand in his own and kissing it softly before staring at her with a very much saddened gaze.

"And ye truly don't wanna leave 'em either. Yer not foolin' anyone but yerself, me love," he told her under his breath and a tear rolled down her cheek as he gazed upon her fair face. He knew she was going to fall apart before it was all over.

"Don't cry, Pretty Face. There's not a thing to be done 'bout it," Harry attempted to comfort her, reaching out his other hand and cupping her cheek gently yet firmly.

"Can't you tell her no?" Evie pleaded with him as she placed her other hand on the strong wood surface of the boat.

"It's my duty, and I have to go where me cap'n goes."

"Screw duty! Quit, then," Evie demanded feebly as she squeezed his hand that was in her own and Harry shook his head sadly.

"I 'ave to go with 'er. Y'know our circumstances. You 'ave duties 'ere as royal advisor and I 'ave duties as first mate to the cap'n of Auradon's navy," Harry softly explained and Evie's shoulders shook as a sob wracked her frame. Harry ran his hand down her cheek and under her chin as he angled her head so that she was looking at him.

"Hey, I'll always come back to ye. I won't be dyin' in this skirmish or any other one."

"You don't know that, Harry Hook, you don't know that," Evie hysterically explained to him and Harry stepped over the railing and hopped down so that he was at her level.

Without hesitation, Evie crashed into his chest heavily and wrapped her arms around him tightly. He wholly enveloped her smaller frame in his own and ran his fingers through her flowing blue tresses that seemed to wave like a waterfall over her back and his arms.

Evie breathed deeply between bouts of uncontrollable tears and he placed his lips on her forehead as he inhaled the sweet smell of her perfume and unique Evie scent. It was almost like honey and strawberries and he couldn't help but immediately think of that bottle of shampoo that she had so proudly exhibited to him just a week or two ago that was supposed to be so beneficial for various parts of the hair. He wished now that he could remember just what she had said.

The truth was, he was terrified of failing her and the kingdom. If Uma and he were sunk on the way to the battle-site or were killed during their long stay at the outpost, there was officially no force stopping the rising insurgency from invading Auradon and killing countless innocents.