No Space Between Part 1

Summary: What if Mal never got into the limo heading back to Auradon in D2? What if Mal had stayed on the Isle? What would've happened to Evie? Let's just say that Evie may have made promises about spaces between, but she had no intention of keeping them. Bal, Core Four family feels, small, tiny, and barely miniscule hints of Bevie, and tons of Mal and Evie best friend angst and fluff.

   It had been one week. One week since Evie had been forced to leave behind the most important person in her life in the hole that they were in at the very beginning of it all.

Her heart ached, and it was like a piece of Evie's entire being was missing. Every time Evie looked over at that empty side of the room--- that side of the room that belonged to her--- Evie felt like falling into hysterical sobbing from which she could never emerge.

It seemed like since Mal refused to come back, everything and everyone had went into insane disarray.

Doug had burst in on her the earlier part of this torturous week with accusations on his tongue of how she had cheated on him with Happy's son and how she had gone on something as ridiculous as a camping trip without him. Evie was in no mood to tolerate his ridiculous neediness, and she very coldly and calculatedly told him to get out of her office and not to dare show his face around her again unless he wanted her to get Jay to take care of things.

It was just as well. She had never wanted him anyway. Especially not when her sister, her best friend, and her everything was gone. In fact, Evie didn't even have the patience to remotely tolerate him since Mal was not there.

Ben was a mess, and Evie felt her heart ache for him. But she didn't allow herself to get too close because she knew that, despite Mal's open declaration that she simply could not be around him anymore, he still belonged to Mal. She could never betray her sister who was purely her heart.

Jay was extremely closed-off and hadn't actually had a full-on conversation with either Carlos or Evie during the whole week. It had just been short small talk here and there before heading off to go to the gym once again. Evie was beginning to think that he was going to look like some kind of miniature Hulk by the time that he was through.

Carlos had been a terrible wreck, and he had been even more nervous about Jane and that entire situation. It was a true shame, too, because they were an adorable couple and quite obviously liked one another. But it seemed that one of his three siblings being gone had really damaged what confidence and bravery he had.

With all of this craziness going on around her, the only thing that was keeping Evie from completely losing her mind was the promise of what was going to happen if she could finish the wardrobe that she was currently working on so intently. Recently, she had put her business on an indefinite hold so she could dedicate her time and work to a new project. It was a bit of a selfish project, but nevertheless, it would help heal her aching heart and maybe even Mal's, too, if she was missing Evie as much as Evie was missing Mal.

After all, Evie was not going to let her Mal, her sister, her best friend, and her everything stay on the Isle of the Lost alone. No matter what promises had been made about spaces between.

But tonight was the night. She was going to take her backpack chock full to the brim with clothing and sneak out of Auradon, taking a limo with her. She had already planned that she was going to open the barrier, waste no time in shutting it, and then proceed to stuff the remote deep in her zippable pockets. That way, she wouldn't require anyone to drive her and she could just disappear. Plus, she'd have a way to get back on the odd chance that Mal would want to return.

Evie gathered her things, stuffing the already overstuffed backpack with all kinds of makeup and just things that were important to the girl. Like that picture of her, Mal, Jay, and Carlos together.