Bullies

Summary: When Mal is brutally picked on by Audrey and her group, Evie with the help of the boys set about making their sister feel better. Sisterly, brotherly, familial, and best friend feels, but mostly sisterly feels.

   "Oh, if it isn't Mal. Goodness, the freak actually acts like she belongs here," Audrey turned to the posse of girls behind her, not even bothering to speak lower as she insulted Mal.

Mal rolled her eyes, mostly choosing to ignore them as she returned to carefully continuing her masterpiece. It was looking excellent, and she'd been working on it for days now. Mal certainly didn't want to lose her concentration just for Audrey and her annoying ways.

"I think she's deaf, too. Wait, maybe she doesn't speak English. She is a bit wild, after all. Like an animal," Audrey relentlessly continued.

Well... It was too late for her concentration. It already went down the toilet.

On that note, Mal looked up from her book at Audrey, pretending to be startled. She then forced a wide grin on her face.

"Oh, Audrey, I didn't see you there. Oh, gosh, I love what you've done with your hair. How'd you get it to come out of your nose like that? Pure genius," Mal snidely remarked. She then returned to her drawing once again and suppressed any outward show of her amusement at Audrey's offended gasp of horror.

"Wh- well! You just don't know what you're saying. She is retarded, after all. Too many years sucking poison apples in that depressing hole," Audrey cruelly assessed.

"Yeah, yeah, keep talking, Audrey, maybe you'll actually say something smart one day," Mal attempted to cut off the conversation.

"Aww, you're just jealous because you know that you're not good enough for Ben, or this school, or anybody. Honestly, your little servants are better than you. At least they are loyal to something. However, misplaced their affections may be," Audrey spat. Mal's pencil stopped its frequent, calming strokes and she knew Audrey had noticed from the little victorious huff of laughter.

"Especially that Evie. She told me the other day that you were like her sister," she paused for an added effect, turning and looking back at her little gaggle of mindless geese. "Ooh, she's got her fooled, doesn't she?" She then resumed her ruthless attack on Mal.

"We all know that you just manipulate the three of them to do your bidding. It's unfathomable what you actually think of them," Audrey smirked harshly.

Mal swallowed hard, not letting them see that they actually did succeed in getting under her skin. They had unearthed a lot of old doubts about who she was and her feelings of inferiority surrounding her friendship with Evie and the boys.

"But just look at you, Mal. How can you really think you're better than the rest of us?" Audrey continued. "You're really just a sad, pathetic, messed up little VK. And you're ugly, too. All of those split-ends and your eyes are so far apart that it has to be against some law of physics," the princess observed haughtily.

"I don't know, Audrey, the last time I checked ugly begins with U," Mal fired, finally having something good to say as a comeback.

"Maybe so, but at least I'm not a liar who deceives not only her 'friends' but also herself."

Mal sucked in a breath, about to say something when she suddenly felt a comforting, familiar hand squeezing her shoulder soothingly, the thumb swirling slow and careful circles on her shoulder. Mal flinched a little at the sudden touch and looked up at the person beside her.