Roughin' It Part 14

Summary: After Uma boldly and perhaps stupidly proclaims that she could handle camping easily, Mal, Evie, Audrey, Jane, and Uma end up on a camping trip that none of them were prepared for in the least. Friendship feels amongst all three girls, Huma, Jarlos, Jaudrey, Bal, and Hades father/daughter feels with Mal.

   Mal was standing out near the river bank, looking out over the water as she leaned against a tree, reveling in the beauty of the day and trying to brand the scenery in her mind so that she could have a good drawing reference when she next had a moment to settle with her sketch book when they got home.

After that night, all of the girls had decided, as a result of Hades's not quite so secret worrying, to return home. The entire trip had been fun, and at times, dangerous, but they all decided that they were ready to go home, and that they had enough of roughing it outdoors.

Of course, Uma had claimed that she could have went for a few more days, but they all knew that wasn't really true. Uma was already short on sleep and seemed to be losing her gusto for the outdoors.

Hades had already left for the castle once Mal had assured him that they would be okay and that they were right behind him once they gathered all of their things, and Uma and Audrey were already started on cleaning up some things.

Mal was going to go back and help them in just a few minutes. She just wanted to admire the scenery for a moment before they left. As much as the river scared her, she couldn't help but admire it.

Mal almost was surprised when she felt a presence suddenly nearby her and was hit with the nearly nose-blinding smell of skunk. However, at the gentle hand that barely touched her wrist, she could easily tell it was Evie.

The smell of skunk was also a pretty good indicator.

"What're you doing?" Evie asked quietly, leaning against the tree that Mal was and looking down at her best friend from her slightly taller position.

Mal smiled softly at Evie and shrugged slightly. It was all she could do not to lean against Evie as she would normally, but she used Evie's terrible smell as an acute reminder of the reason she shouldn't.

"I don't know. Just... Looking at it all before we go, I guess," Mal expressed, and Evie nodded easily, understanding immediately without further explanation. Of course, Mal knew Evie would understand her totally without any words at all. Evie and Mal were just perfectly on the same page in that manner.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Even the water's kind of beautiful," Mal informed Evie. Evie smiled slightly, looking at Mal quietly before turning her gaze back to the water. Mal was silent for a moment before she added onto her statement.

"Well, you know, once you get past the entire intense childhood trauma part of things, but who's really affected by that?" Mal questioned, and Evie snorted, laughing at Mal. Mal grinned victoriously, pleased that she had drawn a laugh from her best friend.

"Yeah. Childhood trauma's so overrated," Evie added, bantering with Mal, and Mal grinned, moving her head in an agreeing motion.

"I know, right?" They both laughed before quieting down a bit. Evie sighed slightly, and Mal raised an eyebrow, looking at her and silently coaxing Evie to speak her thoughts.

"I'm going to kind of miss it," Evie admitted, and Mal smiled lopsidedly at the other girl, taking in her profile.

"Even though you got sprayed by the nastiest animal on Earth?" Mal asked, and Evie chuckled under her breath.