Urban Cowgirls Part 9

Summary: The girls have gotten fed up with the boys' constant teasing, and they make a bet: the boys pick a place, and the girls will stay there for several days, doing just fine and not chickening out, which will prove their strong independence. Naturally, the place was not what the girls bargained for. Full of friendship feels among the girls with Bal, Huma, Jaudrey, and Jarlos thrown in.

  "I'm telling you, this is wholesome and healthy for the soul. At least, when Mama Octopus isn't trying to force you to do it," Uma explained as she stepped through the sheared grass of the pasture.

After Evie's whole saloon issue, the girls at some point had managed to find everything on Anne's list at the general store. It was nearly evening when they managed to get back after Evie dragged them to several different stores just to look.

Once they had gotten back, George and Anne had informed them that they were going to have fish for dinner, and that the girls needed to go and catch them in the pond that was in the cow pasture.

At this point, they were treading through the cow pasture at dusk, dodging piles of cow waste with their fishing poles swung over their shoulders.

"All I can see is the cow poop around me, so I'm sorry I haven't slowed down and seen the wholesome in this. And I don't see how you're seeing the wholesome in it solely because of your Mama Octopus," Audrey sarcastically remarked. Uma just rolled her eyes and she stepped over another pile, avoiding it just barely. Mal huffed at Audrey and tried to stick close to Evie's trail since the brown-eyed girl had not yet stepped in the poop.

"I think it's cool that we're hunting for our food. It shows the boys that we can be outdoorsy," Evie informed them all, and Audrey just raised an eyebrow as she looked up at the bluenette.

"Did you suffer a few more knocks to the head than we thought? All this shows is that we're behaving like some kind of savage creatures!" Audrey nigh hysterically informed them, and Uma resisted the urge to groan at the whining girl.

"You could go back to the house, you know," Uma told her, and Audrey threw a longing gaze toward the warmly lit farmhouse.

"Well... Would anybody judge if I did?"

Everyone offered her various forms of agreement, and the pink princess sighed, unimpressed as she dodged another pile of crap.

"Honestly, how much do these things poop?!" Audrey cried and Mal shrugged. Uma immediately got an enormous grin on her face as she looked back at the princess.

"I don't know. They must be full of it. You ought to be right at home, then," Uma jabbed, and Audrey just stewed silently as they started to climb a small hill.

Evie clambered up to the top first, quickly followed by Mal and Uma, and they all looked down upon the sight of the pond below.

"Wow. It's bigger than I thought it'd be," Mal trailed off, and Uma shrugged.

"It ain't no biggie," Uma blew off Mal's oddly concerned tone. Evie, however, paused beside Mal as she gazed at her carefully. Evie leaned over so that her lips were nearby Mal's ear.

"Are you sure you're good to go?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine," Mal assured her, and the group started down the hill behind Uma.

"Yes, baby! There are boats," Uma announced once they had descended the hill. Mal's eyes went wide as she immediately realized what was implied that they'd have to do. She stopped abruptly, and Evie wrapped an arm around her as she tried to subtly comfort Mal and cover up the fact that the other girl had stopped.