The Bluebirds

Summary: Mal leaves Hades in charge of babysitting Mallory while she attends a meeting with the council. When two terrors are together, it equals trouble, but when Evie's added to the mix, it's an even bigger load of it. Companion piece to "Grandaddy's Little Girl" and "Auntie's Little Girl."

"Alright, Dad, I'm trusting you with this."

"Mal, baby girl, it will be perfectly fine. I assure you."

"Well, it got let out that Uma nearly lost her the other day, so I just wanted to make sure you can handle the responsibility of watching her."

Hades and Mal looked down at the little girl that was currently wrapped around Hades' leg. Mallory giggled as he lifted his foot and tried to shake her off without any luck. Hades raised an eyebrow at Mal, raising his gaze to his purple-haired daughter.

"I honestly don't think there's much danger of losing her," he told her and Mal sighed before finally kissing his cheek. Mal looked down at her watch, hesitantly starting to go.

"Go on. They need you," he told her.

Mal was currently stuck between the need to join Evie and Ben at a council meeting and her resistance to leave the two crazy persons by themselves. She had already went through a fifteen minute talk about why they shouldn't listen to music at all while she was busy just a few halls away.

Of course, Hades would never, ever do a thing like that, he had assured her. It was just that when his hands touched the stereo buttons, they couldn't help but send the speakers into a blasting inferno of rock music.

"Okay... I'll see you later," Mal finally told him waving at him and Mallory as she left down the hall. Hades and Mallory returned the wave and he shut the door when Mal was out of sight. He turned and dragged the little kid along the floor, her gigging like a maniac the whole time.

"Alright, Baby-Cakes. What are you in the mood to do?"

"Let's jump on Mommy and Daddy's bed!" Mallory announced, pointing in the direction of Mal and Ben's bedroom. Hades laughed, thinking of the looks on their faces if they came in and found their bed completely messed up.

"That does sound pretty fun," he agreed. "But let's see if there's something else we can do that won't get Grandpapa Hades in the doghouse."

Mallory thought for a moment before smiling at him with her eyes glowing green.

"Let's go visit Austin! We could scare him!" Mallory giggled and Hades rolled his eyes fondly at the girl and her wicked little ideas. Even as pleased with her mischievous ways that he was, he still knew it probably wasn't something that he should encourage.

"I thought Austin was your friend," Hades told her, walking along awkwardly with her weight attached to his boot. He sat down on the nearby couch with a huff of relief and Mallory crawled up into his lap, playing with the spikes on his jacket.

"He is. He's just fun to scare."

"You don't want Auntie Audrey to get mad. You know she's a little bit of a hothead," Hades joked, gently tugging at a blue curl of hair on her head. She waved his hand away with a giggle.

"She never lets me and Austin have fun. Mommy doesn't either. She tells me to play nice with him. But I always do, Grandpapa!" Mallory exclaimed with such an emphasis for her young age that Hades couldn't resist chuckling at her.

"Austin's the one that plays dumb, mean things."

"What does Austin like to play?" Hades asked, genuinely curious about what the son of Audrey and Jay had thought of to play with Hades' one and only granddaughter.