A2 C48 - My General

The white cloth was thrown into the air with a swish, and the dirty bloodstains on it could not be hidden under the sun, like a kite with a broken string fluttering to the ground. The corpse that had been covered up just now revealed its true face, then it made people gasp.

Jiu Niang is an oiran lady of Wenxianglou who is both beautiful and artistic. With snowy skin and full hearty lips, she has attracted so many noblemen to bow down under her skirts. No one expected that one day she would die so ugly.

She just lay quietly on the wooden mat, her eyes were cloudy and lifeless, staring straight at the blue sky. The facial muscles collapsed due to rot, and there were large and small irregular green spots all over the place, the abdomen was bloody and grisly. Although it was cleaned, it still attracted flies and insects to buzz around the body. The stench wafted around the vicinity with its pungent smell.

A wide-sleeved skirt with a peony green pattern was soaked in blood, making it unrecognizable and tattered.

There were exclamations one after another from all around, and the timid ones were too frightened to look any more, but they still couldn't help peeking through the gap between their fingers. Humans are such contradictory creatures that when curiosity overcomes fear, they can confront cruelty head-on.

Even Chu Jiaoping turned his head away because of the horrific appearance of the dead body.

The calmest one was Chu Xinian. In order to observe the corpse easily, he lifted the hem of his robe and squatted beside the corpse. While observing carefully, he said: "Master Mei, if you have anything to ask me, you can ask me here in front of everyone. Your Ministry of Punishment's threshold is too high, and I'm afraid I won't be able to step in."

Chu Xinian– being an unusual citizen with a strong background, it is impossible for Mei Fengchen to send him to court for interrogation according to the usual procedure, that is the business of the Court of Judicature and Revision. Ministry of Punistment's style of work has always been decisive and vigorous. Whenever a lawsuit involving the life of a powerful person is involved, he will directly hold the case and the imperial power will grant permission.

Mei Fengchen saw that not only did he not freak out with fright, but was so calm on the contrary, he couldn't help but think highly of him. With a blank face, he ordered someone to present a tray with a blood-stained gentleman's pendant on it: "Your name is engraved on this jade pendant. When Jiu Niang's body was found, it was held in her hand. How would you explain it?"

No wonder Mei Fengchen dared to go to the general's mansion in this way. It turned out that it was because of "iron-clad evidence".

Hairpins for women and jade for men. People from famous families all have their names engraved on a jade pendant to show their status. Qu Yanghu favored his sons. He spent a lot of money to find a piece of fine jade and asked skilled craftsmen to carve two pieces of gentleman's pendants, one for Chu Jiaoping and one for Chu Xinian.

Chu Jiaoping's jade is still tied to his body, but Chu Xinian's jade was accidentally dropped and shattered because he was racing horses with others in the suburbs of Great Yan. This matter is closely guarded and no outsider knows about it.

Chu Jiaoping frowned, feeling more and more that this matter was not simple, and said to Mei Fengchen: "Master Mei, my second younger brother has always been messing around. He broke the jade pendant a few months ago and didn't know where the fragments were. Is it too rash to just use this as evidence?"

"Reckless?" Mei Fengchen said in an old voice, "If it feels rash, he should follow me to the Ministry of Punishment to investigate the matter thoroughly. Besides, the old man did not say clearly that Chu Xinian is the murderer, but now he is the most suspected, so we need to interrogate him once or twice."