A2 C81 - A Story Has Been Rewritten

The sound from war reverberated through the thousands of rooms inside the palace that gradually emerged as a passing whisper, ethereal and distant. A light white line can be faintly seen on the sky but was overcast in an instant as rain began to pour down intermittently and a bloody smell quickly filled the air, it was terribly eerie.

Xie Lanting divided his troops into two. Half of the troops went to attack Zhou Wenchen, who had suffered heavy casualties, while he led the other half to take control of the palace. Looking from a high place, one can see the flames burning inside and outside the palace, and the rain may not be able to quench the scorching heat within it.

The swords clashed chaotically through the night, Xie Lanting led his own soldiers and directly surrounded the Tai'an Hall. The sound of horseshoes were rapid, the armor rattled when the blades collided, and countless arrows shone coldly, showing their sharpness in the dark night.

"Ready——!"

"Aim——!"

"Shoot——!"

They stretched their bows and set up arrows, aiming directly at the imperial guards protecting Emperor Yan at the gate of the palace. The shot eliminated most of the enemy troops.

Xie Lanting clenched his sword around his waist, and wanted to rush directly into the hall, but after thinking about it, he asked Chu Xinian for his opinion: "Should we go in or not?"

With a silver mask on his face, he merge into the dark night. The drizzle of rain fell obliquely on his body, flowing slowly along the armor, taking away the blood stains on it.   

Chu Xinian thought for a moment, then randomly chose a soldier to come over, bowed his head and whispered something in his ear, and ordered him to report to Emperor Yan in the hall. After finishing all this, he said to Xie Lanting: "No problem, anyway, the matter is a foregone conclusion, so let's wait."  

Emperor Yan was supposed to pass on to the Crown Prince, so there was no need for them to do anything more. If he rushes in at this time, the justifiable succession will become a usurpation of the throne. Although things like reputation are not painful or itchy, if the situation permits, why bother to leave a bad mark through history?

Emperor Yan was so sick that he was groggy and didn't know the outside situation. It wasn't until there was a sudden thunder in the sky that he woke up suddenly. He sat up on the bed with difficulty, gasping for breath with every movement, and weakly called the Prince's name: "Chenghao..."

The prince was very concerned about the situation outside, and didn't know what happened to Xie Lanting and the others. There was no news these days, and he was alone in a daze. Except for a few court ladies and eunuchs, there is no one else in the hall. Hearing Emperor Yan's cry, he came back to his senses slowly, walked to the bedside and knelt down: "What is it?"

Emperor Yan continued intermittently: "The hall...why is it so dark..."

The old eunuch immediately ordered people to light the lamps, but the dark clouds outside could not conceal the precarious gloom.

The prince was a little restless, he managed to calm himself down, and lowered his eyes and said: "Father, there is thunder and rain outside, so the sky is dark."

Emperor Yan didn't speak, he stretched out his hand tremblingly, as if he wanted to touch the prince's face. However, due to lack of strength, he fell again, and the latter had no intention of stepping forward.    

The hall was empty, and the court ladies and eunuchs stood in the corner, like lifeless puppets, with numb expressions. The wind and rain were blowing outside the window, and the heavy curtains were locked deeply, covering up the tragic scene of corpses strewn all over the field outside.