A6 C193 - Extra: The Grand Wedding

As the years passed, it was another early spring. The heavy snow had finally ceased, but the cold wind still cut to the bone, making people's ears ache.

The Imperial City of Yan, which was usually blanketed in white, was now filled with festive red palace lanterns and auspicious silk decorations. Eunuchs and palace maids streamed out from the inner palace, carrying the wedding attire for the grand wedding. Even the guards, who usually wore black armor, had added red tassels to their sword hilts to bring in the festive atmosphere.

The reason for the joyous occasion was the royal wedding of the Yan Emperor. His chosen consort was none other than the renowned and charismatic young swordsman, Lord Rong Xuan.

It was said that Lord Rong Xuan not only possessed exceptional looks but was also a second-ranked master of the sword at a young age. Rumor had it that he was the Emperor's "blue-eyed confidant" from the neighboring Zhou Kingdom, and they had privately committed to a lifelong bond. Some even claimed he was the sole heir of a first-ranked swordmaster, Lord Ye Shengchen. However, the connection between the surnames "Rong" and "Ye" was a mystery that perplexed many.

Rumors were abound, but no matter how one looked at it, Lord Rong Xuan was a paragon of both talents and looks. The Emperor's choice of him as the consort was far more acceptable than if the Emperor had chosen one of those cunning fox-like individuals.

The wedding had stirred some controversy among the elderly courtiers, who argued that it was against traditions and etiquette. However, considering that the Emperor had ascended to the throne as a ger, there was already a significant departure from conventional norms. Additionally, after the Emperor ordered the castration of an outspoken censor, the court had fallen into an uneasy silence, and no one dared to oppose the marriage.

As the sky grew brighter, palace maids carrying the bridal attire arrived in the grand hall, waiting in line. The chief eunuch, however, shook his head slightly and said, "The Emperor has not awakened yet. Come back in half an hour."

Beyond a carved wooden door, the interior was cozy, with a roaring fireplace. The curtains swayed gently in the breeze, revealing a glimpse of a man sleeping serenely on a carved rosewood dragon couch. His yellow silk robe had slipped to the side, revealing a porcelain-like neck. His features were exceptionally handsome, with vermilion smudges accentuating his allure. Yet, something had disturbed his sleep, causing his brows to knit in distress.

Emperor Ji Fan dreamt of the time when he first arrived in Zhou...

He had traveled thousands of miles, with his wrists chafed and bloody from the shackles, and he was exhausted and injured. When he arrived at the Zhou capital, he was stopped by Prince Liang, who insisted he kneel to enter.

Then, Xuanyuan Qing appeared...

The events unfolded just like they did years ago. But, he had experienced too much humiliation, intrigue, and conflict over the years. Ji Fan didn't want to recall his past, even though this haunting nightmare always clung to him, impossible to shake off.

Starting from when he was pushed off a cliff while hunting in the South Mountain Range, the dream didn't include Rong Xuan...

Rong Xuan was absent...

He watched as an outsider as his dream-self fell in love with Xuanyuan Qing step by step. He showed mercy numerous times in court, and then he became an enemy of Zhao Su. In the end, he met a tragic fate.

Outside the city limits of the capital, Xuanyuan Qing held a longsword and thrust it into Ji Fan's heart.

It hurts...

In his final moments, Ji Fan suddenly felt excruciating pain, like a tearing wound. He fell to his knees, unable to support his own weight, with a metallic taste filling his mouth. But he didn't look at Xuan Yuanqing, who was right there; instead, he strained to lift his head and search for the figure that had never appeared in his dreams...