A2 C75 - Held Back, Fall Back

"I really underestimated that Prince Yin. In order to raise money and food, he turned people into a little moth to burn through his trap made of fire."

Prince Jin sat in the study, closed his eyes, and put his hands on his forehead, unable to calm down for a long time. Especially when he heard the report from the servants, those aristocrats donated a large sum of money to the East Palace again, including the wealthy merchants in the Capital who also began to donate money, just to get a plaque from the Crown Prince, and they didn't think twice to jump through the trap.

Chu Jiaoping and other people from their factions gathered in the study, and when they heard about this, they were all frowning.

Xiao Da flicked his sleeves heavily, half out of resentment and half out of helplessness: "Nowadays, Zhuque Street is full of people, all of whom are giving money to the Prince. The great four families of Pei, Wei, Xiaô, and Zheng are fighting for the name of the merit monument. It's really hateful to change your rank and send people to donate food frequently!"

Prince Jin closed his eyes and said nothing, but his face was heavy, and after a long while he suddenly raised his eyes to look at Chu Jiaoping: "Jiaoping, you have always been resourceful, in your opinion, if I want this matter to turn around. What should we do?"

Chu Jiaoping frowned and said: "The Crown Prince has already seized the opportunity. If we don't get rid of anything, we will really lose our reputation. For the current plan, we don't seek meritorious service but seek no faults. Your Highness will give more money and donate for the people. Take the first place on the ranking of merit and virtue."

Prince Jin's face was ugly: "You mean that not only can I not pay less money, but also have to give money to the East Palace? What can I get from having a good name from Prince Yin?!"

Prince Jin was very upset. He didn't like to do things that harmed himself and benefited others, especially if the object of benefit was the Crown Prince. He is not the reincarnation of the God of Wealth, and the daily salary used to manage officials is already a considerable expense.

Xiao Da was the first to object: "No! The more money and food you raise, the more brilliant the Crown Prince will be in front of His Majesty. Chu Jiaoping, how can you let Prince Jin use his own money to subsidize the Crown Prince!"

Under the Prince's faction, the subordinates are not necessarily so friendly to each other. Open and cold war is common. They come and go to fight secretly, just like Prince Yin and Prince Jin framed each other.

Chu Jiaoping's face also turned cold: "Then what does Master Xiao mean? Others donate money and food, and they are at the top of the list. Prince King is worth ten thousand gold, and also the Prince's honor. Is it possible to donate just five hundred taels of silver like you?"

Five hundred taels, five hundred taels, every time Xiao Da hears these two words, he feels someone scolding him. With burning pain on his face, he pointed at Chu Jiaoping and said, "This old man is utterly loyal to Prince Jin. I don't care about my reputation. I would rather bear the infamy of being worthless than fulfill the people in the Eastern Palace!"

Prince Jin saw them arguing. He slapped the table heavily and said in a deep voice, "Don't argue anymore!"

He seldom got angry, but now he suddenly spoke coldly to them, which made people tremble, and Xiao Da also fell silent for a moment.

Prince Jin let out a breath slowly: "There is still some time before the end of the Crown Prince's food collection. Let me think about it again. It will not be too late to send money anyway."

Seeing this, Chu Jiaoping felt speechless in his heart. Suddenly, his worries became more and more serious, and he warned: "Your Highness, if you are late, it will greatly affect us. The East Palace will definitely not allow us to make up the money so smoothly. The longer it is delayed, the worse it will be."