A2 C78 - A Mirage from History

Prince Jin heard the Emperor's pass and took Xuan Yeping into the inner hall. He raised the hem of his robe, knelt on the soft carpet, and kowtowed, not daring to look at Emperor Yan, who seemed to have aged decades overnight: "This son pays homage to Father Emperor."

Xuan Yeping kowtowed: This poor Taoist Xuan Yeping greets Your Majesty."

Emperor Yan reluctantly raised his hand to signal them to stand, his eyes fell on Xuan Yeping, and he frowned: "Prince Jin, this is the Taoist Master that you've brought?”

Prince Jin nodded: “Answer to Father Emperor, my ministers were worried when they heard about the evil spirits invading the palace. It happened that Master Xuan was proficient in this way, so he brought him into the palace to solve Father’s worries and problems.”

With the support of the old eunuch, Emperor Yan sat upright from the bed, his eyes were cloudy and turbulent, staring at Xuan Yeping closely, with the cruelty and coldness unique to the Emperor: "Can you really drive away evil spirits for me?"

Xuan Yeping was stared at by Emperor Yan. Feeling cold, he couldn't help lowering his head, hiding the despicableness of his heart. He dare not to reveal the tension in his eyes: "This poor Taoist watched the sky for the past few days and nights, and saw that the Ziwei star of the dragon's vitality was weak and the evil spirit was rising in the direction of the palace. Now that I have seen it today, the source was coming from Your Majesty's bedroom..."

After he finished speaking, he lifted his hand, pointed to the corners of the hall and said, "Those evil spirits are hidden here."

When Xuan Yeping said this, all the maids and eunuchs in the hall were startled. A chill spread directly from the soles of their feet to the top of their head. They looked around nervously, as if something eminent was staring straight at them secretly.

No one knows if Emperor Yan got also frightened but he suddenly let out a violent cough in his throat. It took him a long time to catch his breath. He was out of breath and said, "Don't just stand there, hurry up and cast a spell to exorcise those evil spirits! If you succeed, I shall reweard you anything you want, gold, silver, and even title!"

Xuan Yeping touched the stack of yellow papers hidden in his bosom, and felt more at ease. He bowed his head and said to Emperor Yan: "Your Majesty, please turn away the Buddhist monks who are chanting sutras around. This poor Taoist cannot successfully cast a spell if they are here."

As soon as Emperor Yan waved his hand, the old eunuch immediately understood and drove all the Buddhist monks out. For a while, only a few servants and Prince Jin were left in the hall.

Captain of the Imperial Guard Zhou Wenchen led his troops to stand outside the hall in case of accidents.

Xuanye has been in the rivers and lakes for many years, and he still knows some little tricks like casting spells and chanting scriptures. He raised the whisk and started to perform the exorcism in the middle of the hall.

He closed his eyes and walked slowly around a circle while chanting. No one in the hall notice that Xuanye also didn't know what he was chanting.

Every time he walked by, with a wave of his sleeve robe, there was a piece of yellow talisman paper that will stick around the door and windows. After the 20 circles of Bagua steps are completed, the hall is already packed with a yellow talisman paper.

Xuan Yeping chanted a random Taoist name that he made up to who-knows-where aloud, and then sat cross-legged in the center of the hall. Because of his tiring movements just now, the back of his clothes was wet with sweat. He closed his eyes and said to Emperor Yan: "There are too many evil spirits in this palace, and they're hiding too well. This poor Taoists will give him his best to suppress them here. When night falls, the yin energy will be the worst, and that's where they will show their original shapes"...