A6 C189 - Leaving Zhou

After the envoy left the capital, several people appeared outside the Crown Prince's residence. They received strict orders to keep a close eye on Ji Fan and not to lose sight of him. The late summer had passed, and the autumn leaves were falling. The surroundings seemed unusually desolate with fallen leaves covering the ground.

The spies worked tirelessly, but they were starting to feel tired. Just then, they noticed Ji Fan coming out of the residence with an attendant. The attendant had black, short beard and wore a woolen hat that hid his face. They couldn't see his features. The attendant was carrying two jars of good wine, placed at the rear of a carriage. Ji Fan climbed into the carriage and, once settled, the driver immediately cracked the whip, heading towards the Princess's residence.

The spies followed discreetly, maintaining a distance not too close yet not too far.

The attendant was none other than Rong Xuan in disguise. He casually glanced backward and continued driving, lowering his voice behind the curtain, "They're following us."

Ji Fan sat quietly inside the carriage with his eyes closed, showing no emotion. "As long as they keep up," he said, "I'm just worried they might lose us."

The carriage swayed as it reached the Princess's residence. The butler, recognizing Ji Fan's carriage, promptly went in to report. Before long, Yan Fengchen came out to personally welcome them. Ji Fan carried the two jars of wine as he stepped down from the carriage. He patted Yan Fengchen's shoulder, said something, and then the two of them went into the residence together.

Rong Xuan stayed outside and didn't enter. He parked the carriage in a corner, closed his eyes, and leaned against the carriage's shaft, appearing as if he were taking a nap.

Two spies concealed themselves in a corner nearby. One of them voiced concerns, "Ji Fan and Yan Fengchen are both from Yan. Could they be conspiring something?"

The other guard was also worried. "You stay here and keep an eye out. I'll try to sneak in."

Most of the Princess's residence staff were female servants, so there weren't many skilled defenders, and security wasn't as tight as in the Crown Prince's residence. The undercover guard entered through the back wall, knocked out a servant, changed to his clothes, and carried a tray into the inner courtyard.

Ji Fan and Yan Fengchen were drinking wine under a tree. Ji Fan looked despondent, and Yan Fengchen kept waving his hands, saying he couldn't drink, yet Ji Fan still managed to pour him several glasses.

The wine jars were filled with plain water, with only a layer of strong alcohol smeared on the outside, emitting a strong aroma. Yan Fengchen deliberately pretended to be overcome by the alcohol, his face flushed, shaking his head and saying, "Your Highness, I can't drink anymore. The Princess will be here soon, and she'll get angry if she sees me drinking."

Ji Fan noticed that a servant had entered with a tray, moving soundlessly, undoubtedly a skilled individual. He deliberately closed his eyes, supported his head, and seemed to feign drunkenness. He spoke in a self-deprecating tone, "You're marrying the Princess now, and you'll hold the position of a consort. You're truly the luckiest person. But me, I have to continue staying in this place, living like a ghost..."

He muttered a few more unclear words, appearing to talk to himself and reaching the height of desolation.

The servant approached to serve tea, observing Ji Fan completely drunken stae and thought that Ji Fan was pouring out to Yan Fengchen. In a foreign land for several years, he had finally been allowed to return to his homeland, only to be detained unexpectedly. It would be difficult for anyone to endure such a situation.