Chapter 5 - Life of a slave

Hours turned into days, and days turned into months, and months turned into years.

Life at the Tower of Heaven continues, thought it's not a life that I would expect anyone to live through, without suffering. The misery that was in the air was depressing enough to causes most of the people to lose hope of ever earning their freedoms thought some had tried to escape, earning them some times in the Torture Chamber, while others were never heard from again.

The cult was pitiless, treating everyone in the same, no matter whether you're a child or full grown adult. Even if you stop working for at least a few seconds and one of the guards notices you, then well you are zapped with that pain I suffered through before I met Jellal and Simon.

Thinking of those two, I couldn't help but feel a smile upon my lips. The duo did their best to help me cope with the sudden change of environment, and Jellal even cheered me up once. He was so different than how I remember him from the bit of pieces of memories that I have of the anime version of him…this was the Jellal that Erza probably fell in love with and a sweet guy like him, I can probably see why.

Mui on the other hand, was doing his best to kept me fed, thought, the food was something that I wished I never tasted. When I had gotten back to my cell on that first night after meeting Jellal and Simon I had found out how revolting the food actually was.

I stared down at the white stuff inside the plate trying to decipher what it was.

"What is that?" Mui asked staring at the small bowl he was now holding.

"Food," Telvin answered us, "It's the same every day, so you best get used to it."

Food?

It looked more like something someone chewed, spat out on the plate and vomited upon it. The only thing that was missing was the acidic smell that vomit always had. I took the spoon that was beside it and, took a spoonful, against my better judgment; I put it in my mouth.

Once I tasted it, I start to spat it out, coughing.

"Ack….Blerg…It's revolting,"

"Try not to think about it too much," Telvin told us.

Mui on his part, was looking dangerously green, his face completely screwed up by the taste. He looked like he was about to spat whatever he had in his mouth out. Then to my surprise, he swallowed it and shudders.

"How can you eat this without getting sick?" he asked.

Telvin looked up at him.

"Well when you get past the taste," he said, "It isn't so bad."

To both of Mui and my horror, he started to drain his plate, similar as if he is draining a bowl of soup. Then he put the plate down, letting out a sigh of appreciation. He noticed our expressions before he started laughing.

"What's wrong with you two?" he asked, "You look like you've seen a ghost."

I couldn't eat anything that night…no matter how much I tried. The taste was too foul, and I even think the jails back in my old world feed you better than this piece of crap that they are giving us. I started to skip the meals, and working during the day, I grew weaker and weaker.

The guards had noticed that and they zapped me even more than I could think, forcing me to my feet so that I could work for them. As Simon had once told me, we did different jobs every day of the week. Sometimes I was with them, and sometimes I was alone with a group of people that I didn't know.

In those kinds of days, I was dragged to my cell covered in bruises from the number of times I got zapped. In those nights, Mui went insane with worry fussing over me, and even Tevlin was shocked at how much bruises I had over my entire body.