Chapter 50 - The Fallen Feather

Simon ran quickly toward me. He looked like he had been through hell with a nasty wound on the side of his stomach. I looked at him worriedly.

"What happened to you?" I asked.

"Had a run-in with one of the Knights," Simon answered as he approached, "But it's not as bad as it looks or I wouldn't be able to move."

He reached us and glanced down toward the unconscious Mui on the ground.

"You defeated him?" he said surprised.

"Yes," I told him, "Simon…is everyone out of the Tower?"

The young man glanced at me.

"You along with Mui," Simon started, "There is Salamander who was with me a minute ago but he ran ahead toward the top to meet Erza and face Jellal. I need to get you out of here first before the Etherion blast hit."

"So everyone else had evacuated?"

"Yes, based on what Sho told me via Telepathy." the young man said.

I let out a sigh of relief.

"That's good…but even if the blast hit," I told him, "We won't die."

He looked shocked at my declaration as his single eye seems to grow wide.

"Think Simon," I said, "Didn't you ever pause to think as to why Jellal will suddenly want to destroy the very Tower that he spend eight years to built?"

Simon seems to think about it.

"I didn't have time to think about it," he said frowning before glancing at me, "What have you figured out?"

"The reason that the R-System had never been completed is because it was always missing a fundamental piece that is required for it to work," I told him sheathing Runesave, "something that is required for anything powerful object to be used."

Simon looked at me, confused.

"Something fundamental?"

I glanced down at him.

"Magical energy," I said simply, "The Tower may have been built, but there is no way a single person can give the Tower enough magic energy that it requires to work…heck, I doubt all the mages in Fiore even if they combined their magic would be able to activate it."

Simon was still frowning and I saw he didn't get it so I glanced up toward the hole in the ceiling showing the sky outside. The clouds had taken a darker tone as if it was bad weather…but in the middle of that were the multi-layered magic circles of the Satellite Square.

"And the Magic Council is about to give him all the magic energy he would need for that to happen," I continued frowning in anger.

"T…The Etherion blast," Simon said, "But…that would mean Seigrain was working with him all along. That would explain why the Etherion blast is going to hit right now."

I frowned to him for a few seconds. It seems that everyone still thinks Jellal and Seigrain were two different people.

"Simon can you do me a favor?" I asked him.

The young man glanced at me.

"What is it?"

"Can you take Mui out of here," I asked him.

"What and leave you here?"

I glanced at the young man.

"Simon, you want to find your sister right?" I asked him.

He looked a little surprised at that.

"Yo…You remembered that?"

I nodded.