Chapter 13 - Phantom Lord

When I became aware again, I was lying upon a soft bed staring at a blue ceiling above me. The sun was coming from outside of the window and my entire body felt like lead. I stared at the ceiling for at least a few seconds before glancing out toward the window taking notice of a city made out of stone from the view outside.

Where was I?

I seated up, groaning softly and took notice that I had bandages covering the wound I had upon my stomach and it didn't hurt as much as it had done in the past meaning someone must have taken care of it. I looked down at the bed I was laying on, taking notice of the greenish white cover and the smells around me make me realize where I was.

I was in a hospital.

But how did I get there? The last thing I remember was that monster…and then the rest of the memories started to come through. I had faced that monster and then…I had awoken my magic power. I stared down at my hands which had bandages around the wrists again, causing me to wonder who could have taken me to the hospital while I was still out of it.

I blinked down, noticing that my clothes were fresher than the ones I had on before, a hospital scrub from the look of it and it was a pale blue color with little flower designs upon it. I sighed to myself before turning my attention back out toward the city outside.

It definitely wasn't Magnolia that much I was aware of by just noticing the designs of the buildings. It was like the town was mostly designed by the form of a castle with the many turrets and there was a slight hill, and I can see a river going in the distance of the city. I couldn't really think about what it was at the moment as I turned my attention back toward my hands, a new feeling coursing through me.

I could use magic now. I can feel it coursing through my veins stronger than I had felt it the first time I had attempted to summon magic back when I was still at Matlock Orphanage and I was glad that I could feel it now instead of before. It was strange to be feeling that energy bursting through my body like that because of how new the feeling was but instead of freaking out or causing some trouble…I was calm but an oddly freeing feeling followed after that.

It was strange…but not unwelcoming.

Then I heard the door of my room opening, drawing my attention toward it. A young woman, with long green hair had stepped inside the room. She was a nurse from how she was dressed and then her eyes, which were a bright blue, noticed that I was awake and a smile crossed her face.

"You're finally awake," she said, and from her voice she sounded relieved.

I blinked at her.

"Hi," I greeted.

She walked toward me and said.

"How are you feeling today?" the nurse asked me.

"I am feeling great," I answered her, "A little hungry…but great."

The nurse smiled.

"That's good," she said, "Considering your condition when you were brought in a month ago…"

I reeled at that.

A month?

"What?"

She looked toward me, confused as to why I raised my voice.

"You said I was unconscious for a month?"

The nurse shook her head.

"Not unconscious, but very sick," she said, "You had a very high fever, which can happen when someone try to use magic too powerful for their bodies to handle. When Totomaru brought you here, I would never have thought that such a young child like yourself be able to cast such a powerful magic."