Chapter 26 - Rules to Monster Slaying

The forest was quieter than any forest I have ever heard before. Usually in forest, you could hear the sound of birds singing in the trees or the sounds of animals that lived there…but now, I couldn't even hear one pip.

That was really strange.

"Did you hear that?" I asked my companion.

Kagura gave me a glance.

"I don't hear anything," she said.

"Exactly," I told her, "Not even one sound…something is off here."

We continued deeper into the trees which were becoming even closer to each other as we walked into it. The roots have grown over the grounds and I almost tripped over several of them already as I walked through them, a light frown upon my face.

"Eve,"

The voice caused me to glance toward Kagura who was crouched in front of something. I made my way toward her, wanting to see what she has found. Seating at the base of a tree, almost covered by leaves was a helmet, a very familiar one.

"This is a helmet from the Fiore Army right?" I told her.

"It must be one from the soldiers that had been send in to kill the monster," Kagura said, "At least, we knew they made it this far."

I instantly turned my head into a direction, narrowing my eyes. For a second there, I felt a brief flash of magic. It was like a breath of wind basically, something that you would probably overlook usually but in this muted forest, that breath of magic stood out like a bright beacon in the night.

I instantly put my hand on the handle of RuneSave, my eyes searching the surroundings and my sudden stillness must have drawn Kagura's attention.

"What is it? Did you see something?"

"I briefly felt some kind of presence," I told her, "It was only for a second…"

Then before I even finished speaking, a dark shadow simply materialized in front of us so quickly that I didn't even realize that it was there. It was easily sixteen feet tall and from the limbs that were closer to me, I can see fur upon his body, dark red fur and his hand was filled with large claws.

What the…? I thought, shocked at what I was looking.

"This is…," Kagura started.

Then in a blur, the claw come flying down at me and I suddenly threw myself down hearing it tear the tree I was standing beside leaving giants claw marks upon it. I summoned my magic out and feathers started to take shape around me.

"Heaven Feather's Gatling Gun," I said.

The many feathers all flew straight for the large enemy, hammering upon his large form pushing him back but it hardly did anything as the large creature still stood upon his legs. It let out a large roar which echoed around the forest as I stared up at it.

"Think this is the monster in the Job Request?"

I pulled out RuneSave, feeling the blade resonating with my magic.

"I would think so," Kagura said, taking her stance with her own blade.

Then what was the magic I felt earlier? I thought frowning, this monster don't have a trace of magic running through him…

Before I could finish my train of thought, the large furry creature launched himself toward us and I steady myself wanting to get ready to attack but Kagura had already started to move as I felt her magic react…

"Gravity Increase,"

Before the large creature could reach them, it was suddenly brought down on the ground as if he weighted more than normal causing the ground beneath my feet to shake lightly at the sudden increase.