Chapter 128 - The Principality of Veronica

Chapter Cover: Eve seating on a stool with RuneSave in her hand as she cleaned it.

In the basement of the Fairy Tail guild, most of the members that were not as injured in the Carbuncle surprise attack were seated around the table down beneath the surface of the guild. I rarely went there myself considering that I had gone to the library many times in the past few days but now, it was the only place in the guild that didn't seem to have been being damaged in the sudden attack.

I glanced at the Iron Dragon Slayer in front of me, a light frown upon my features. Ever since we had come back and from Tenrou Island, Gajeel had been gone a lot of times from the guild doing some business for the master, though what they could be, I have no idea as to what but I am sure that whatever it is, Gajeel can take care of himself well and now that he has Pantherlily with him, he'll be fine. So I placed myself standing beside Erza's chair with my arms crossed across my chest to listen to what they have to say or if they could make some sense as to what is really going on.

"There's been some unusual magic power reported recently," Lily started, "So we investigated it."

"And we ended up in some puny little country called Veronica," Gajeel finished.

So that's where you've been for the past few days, I thought.

"Veronica?" I repeated, "Isn't that the place that Éclair mentioned earlier?"

"Yeah," Gray said, "Éclair told us that they were the ones that had stolen the other half of the Phoenix stone."

"The ones who attacked us was their mercenary guild," Lily said, "Known as Carbuncle. They were hired by Veronica's Duke Krem and during our mission, we overhead them talking about a large some of money for abducting a girl by the name of Éclair four to five days ago."

I frowned to myself.

"Four to five days ago?" I repeated, giving Erza glance, "That's when we were in Rose Garden with Éclair. Lucy said that someone attacked them. That was probably Carbuncle making their move."

She nodded.

"Considering that we were with her then," she said, "That's how they knew to attack here to get to her, I should have been more on guard since then. I should have known that they would attack us again."

"And tomorrow, Veronica is going to celebrate it's 400th birthday party," Gajeel announced to us with a frown upon his face, "And this Duke Krem is going to make some fireworks by putting the two Phoenix stones together."

A strange sinking feeling in the pit of my gut made itself known then.

"What will that do?" Erza asked.

"There is an ancient legend about these Stones," Lily said, "It says that when the two becomes one, the fiery Phoenix will spring forth from it's eternal prison."

"Apparently," Gajeel continued, "It gives you eternal life as a thank you gift."

Shocked gasps grew all around within the group and I can feel my eyes widening lightly at the notion of immortality. For a few moments, the image of Éclair's face appeared within my mind then thought for what reason I don't really understand but something tells me that it was connected somehow.

"It will makes you live forever," Natsu whispered.

Master Makarov glanced at us.

"When the people of Fire Village sealed the phoenix away many years ago countless lives were lost," he said, "I can't imagine the catastrophe that this demon will unleash were it released today."