Chapter 18 - RuneSave

The next morning, Totomaru was the one who dragged Nicholas back to the Mayor's office and explained everything to the man. Short to say, Mayor Kenai was completely shocked at what he was learning and the blond man was completely taken aback that they had been deceived like that by someone he trusted. Let's just say he didn't waste anything time contacting the Magic Council about Nicholas's doings.

I had gotten my wounds looked at the local clinic and it turns out that none of them were curious enough to cause scars nor long lasting damages which to tell you the truth shocked me. I got blown through a couple of walls from the spells attack by Nicholas when I was fighting him then again, I guess that having magic made me somehow, physically stronger than I was back in my old world and considering that I was only ten years old and I beat a full grown adult in a fight, I can consider myself lucky to be breathing.

"Hey, Eve you ready to go?" Totomaru asked.

I looked up toward him.

"Yes," I answered, "Where are we going?"

"We are going to meet the Mayor and then catch a ride on a chariot to head back home," he answered me.

"Why?" I asked, "What did the Mayor wanted?"

"He said that he wanted to thank us," Totomaru told me, "He said that he'll met us in front of the Museum."

I frowned to myself wondering that the Mayor wanted. The job we have completed was not the one we signed up considering that there were no thieves to be taken care of. The only thing that I could think of is that he is going to thank us somehow about what we have done for him. When we reached the Museum, however, the Mayor was standing in front of the building with both of his hands behind his back as he stared at it.

The damage that had been done to it was not as serious as I thought it would but it was missing a part of its wall from one of the side and some windows were shattered.

"Mayor Kenai," Totomaru said.

The man turned his attention toward us.

"Ah, yes," he said, "You have come wizards."

"You wanted to see us before we leave right?" Totomaru asked.

The Mayor nodded.

"Yes, I wanted to thank you," he said, "I would have never once thought that Nicholas would be someone to do such things. He was always a kind man, almost like someone you can depend on when the time comes…to think he was so twisted in the heart."

I thought back to Jellal, the kind boy he once was before he got manipulated.

"It makes me wonder if I ever knew the man at all?" he said, "I almost didn't want to believe that the young man you brought into my office was the same old gentle soul that I had known for the past years. It makes senses now in a way why the Museum was the only place that had been getting attacked by thieves."

Then he turned toward us, before taking something out of his pocket. It was an envelope, a brown one.

"This is the reward money for the Job Request," he said, "I am sure that it is the thanks that I give you for opening our eyes to who Nicholas truly was."

Totomaru stayed silent as he observed the envelope in front of him before looking up toward the man. Then he stepped forward taking the envelope.

"I am sure that you will find a good use for it," the Mayor told him.

Totomaru nodded.

"And I have," he said, "I decide to give it back to you…as a way to repair the Museum for the damage that it had suffered."