Chapter 162 - The Dragon King

Chapter Cover: Eve and Gajeel seating together thought Gajeel was working on a piece of paper and Eve was playing her guitar.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

In the past, whenever I thought of Dragons I always found it odd that they were no sign of them all over Fiore. Even if an entire species had disappeared off the face of the earth I always believed that they were going to have some sing of them somewhere, but they weren't and they weren't even in museum which was really odd but now standing there in this cave, I found myself looking at the proof of the Dragon's presence upon Earth Land…even thought they were nothing but bones all around us. I was staring around the numerous bones in front of us, completely taken in by the number of bones that were in front of us.

They were all tall bigger than I imagined them to be and it made me wonder about their real size. The image of Acnologia appeared in my mind as that though crossed my mind. Acnologia was the only Dragon that I have ever seen so far and it made me wonder what really happened to them. Considering how powerful Acnologia could be, such a powerful species doesn't just disappear off the face of the earth without a very valid cause.

"Those…look like…giant bones," Lucy whispered.

"They're not just any bones," Natsu added in, his voice sounding more subdued than I ever heard him, "These are all Dragon remains."

"All these used to be Dragons?" Happy said, his tone sounding like wonder.

"There are so many of them," Carla gasped.

"If you ever needed proof that they exist," Lily said, "Well, here it is."

We were walking through the numerous remains of the bones around us and I found giant spines growing above me as I passed near what look like a fossil without a head. Well, I guess there is no need to wonder how this Dragon died. Something caught my eyes too as we walked through them.

"Makes you wonder why they are all here," Gray said glancing around.

"Who knows."

"Well, I'd like to know," Natsu said, "Why would they be piles and piles of bones down here?"

"From the looks of it," I said glancing around, "It look like a battle of some sort took place here a long time ago."

"Eve has a point," Lucy said.

"Who knows," Happy said, "Maybe we'll find Igneel somewhere."

Carla let out a shocked gasp at what he had just said and even I turned to glance at the small Exceed in surprise.

"Happy," Carla said shocked.

Happy instantly realized what he said and placed two of his paws upon his mouth, "Oh…my bad."

"He ain't here," Natsu said simply, leaving no room for argument with his reasoning.

"Right," Gajeel said, "It's only been fourteen years since our Dragon disappeared. Looking at these bones, you can tell they've been here a lot longer than that."

"It has been four hundred years since anyone has seen a Dragon," I said, glancing around, "Well…unless you count our encounter with Acnologia seven years ago."

Just thinking about the black Dragon now is causing shiver to run down my spine. I was continuing my inspection of a nearby skull when Wendy's soft gasp drew my attention toward her. She had been really quiet ever since we discovered the remains around us.

"That might work," she said.

"What was that Wendy?" Lucy asked.

"The Milky Way spell," Wendy said, "It's one of the new Dragon Slayer Secret Arts that Grandeeney had passed down to me. Here the voices of the Dragon Spirits that leads to the river of heaven. When I was first learning it, I assumed that it was some kind of attack but I just had a thought. What if it's something else entirely? It's possible that the spell might allow us to hear the voices of the Dragon who has passed on."