Chapter 8 - Out of the pan and into the fire

I had leaned against the wall, listening to the noises of the night, playing with the small ring that Samara had given to me long ago. I watched the small piece of jewelry in my hand, lost in thoughts. What would I do if I had gotten free of this place? Where will I go?

The Matlock Orphanage had been my home for my first three years in this world before I was brought here…what will be the point of going back there? They all probably believed both Mui and I are dead by now and countless other people that were taken to this Tower…

I put the ring in my right hand middle finger, and I felt the metal twist a little as it tightened upon skin.

"Another sleepless night Eve?" the familiar voice of Grandpa Rob said.

I looked up toward the old man who had a kind smile upon his face. He approached me and took a seat there, letting out a small huff of breath. His companionship was always welcoming, just like a kind gentle grandfather with a lot of wisdom.

"Grandpa Rob," I asked, turning his attention toward me, "What will you do…if you were free from this Tower?"

The old man watched me for a few seconds before returning his attention toward the ceiling, deep in thought.

"I can think of a few things that I would like to do," he said softly.

"Like what?"

"I will go see Makarov and Bob," he said, "After all, it's been almost thirty something years since we've seen each other…ever since he became the Master of Fairy Tail…although, I am sure that he didn't think of himself as a Master of the Guild back then."

I watched as the old man became silent again, raising a hand to stroke his bear.

"I will visit my family," he said, "I am curious as to how old my little girl had become during the times I was in here…and how my grandson looks like."

"He must be quite old now," I told him.

Grandpa Rob laughed.

"That he is," he said, "But…if you don't mind me asking Eve, why all of these questions?"

I looked down at the ground.

"I…It was just a thought I had."

I feel a hand upon my head. It was a comforting hand, causing me to look up toward him.

"Do you believe that you will meet your sister again?" he asked me.

I blinked.

"Y…Yes of course I believe it," I answered him, "It's that belief that I give me strength to face my time here…"

A smile grew upon his face at my answer.

"There you have your answer my dear Eve," he said, "That belief you hold deep inside your heart. As long as you have that, nothing is impossible for you."

I feel comforted by his words. He truly was a Fairy Tail wizard since he already has that mentality.

"Then you have your belief of seeing your daughter once more right?" I told him.

He seemed surprised at what I said but he rubbed my head again, a soft chuckle coming from him.

"That's right," he said, standing up "Good night Eve and don't stay up too late."

"Good night Grandpa Rob," I told him as walked away.

I lied down upon my side and closed my eyes letting sleep taking me. Too soon it seems after that, a hand touched my shoulder shaking me awake and I blinked sleep away to see that it was Simon.