Chapter 127 - Carbuncle

The moonlight shone above the ruins of the house that the man known as Callard used to live in, many years ago. It silvery light bathed the trees and it's surrounding in an almost ethereal light from the cloudless sky from above.

I let out a soft sight as I took this surrounding in, joining Erza, Natsu and Wendy on the outside of the underground wizard lab that was underneath the house. The others didn't show any sign of seeing me and soon enough I had figured out why. In the clearing that stood right in front of the house and illuminated by the moon's light was Éclair.

And the girl was dancing.

I stood there observing the maiden girl dancing softly without music and yet just by looking at her, I could almost hear the almost tribal music that danced at the breath of the winds that were shaking the trees leaves and the soft sounds of the forest around her. The woman danced softly, her steps moving gently and beautifully across the grass, her long tail like hair following behind her every graceful movement.

She was holding the phoenix stone in one of her hands as she moved in soft circle with both of her arms raised around chest height and then soft twinkling lights followed her movements and I soon realized that Éclair was crying.

Then just as she seemingly was finishing with her dance, Éclair crumbled unto the ground unable to continue on dancing as her shoulder shook with whatever pain she was feeling inside.

"Did you find anything?" Erza asked, without looking away from the girl.

"Nothing," I said, "Callard left no trace of his dispel magic or what he had done with it. Probably did it as a precaution that if people robbed this place, they wouldn't find about it, but the man was a brilliant wizard. From the notes that I could read, he did a lot of research about magic."

"I see," Erza said, "Now the real issue is the spell that had been casted on the Phoenix stone. Callard made a point in mentioning his work in trying to lift it from the stone. That tells me that it was particularly troublesome, and perhaps particularly malevolent."

I gave the girl a sideway glance.

"I couldn't sense any trace of dark magic from the stone," I told her confused, "But the magic is...unusual but it's not dark. It reminds me a lot of the Grand Fairy Magic, Fairy Law in a way."

Erza let out a soft sigh.

"Whether it is or not," Gray said, "That Callard guy spend a long time trying to lift it. It may not be dangerous magic, but in the hands of the wrong people…"

I understand what the young man was trying to say.

"I guess…," I said softly.

Éclair had stayed seated upon the grassy ground and Momon had come flying upon her lap to gave her some comfort and even Lucy approached the fallen girl. The blonde girl spoke to her softly, thought I couldn't exactly hear what they were saying to each other but Lucy gave her a soft hug, and Éclair returned it, finally accepting the blonde girl as a friend.

What do you know, I thought, Looks like your efforts to befriend her weren't in vain Lucy.

"I'm going back downstairs," I told her turning away from the two girls.

Erza gave me a glance.

"What for?"

"I'm going to check out Callard's books once more," I told her, "Just to see if I missed anything."

The redhead nodded to me and I took the torch from Natsu before making my way down the abandoned wizard lab. The many tree roots have grown all over the floor made it difficult to navigate through but I made my way toward the bookcase that stood at the end of the room. I pulled out a book and started to search through the numerous words but there was nothing in the books about sealing magic or any other type of magic that existed.