Chapter 27 - The Wraith

Kagura had directed me toward a local clinic so that I can get my wound looked at. While the nurse was wrapping my arms in bandages, something about the monster had put me off for a few reasons. Never before have had I heard a monster that kidnapped people before. Vulcans are known for using Take-Over Magic on people but…

I stared at the ceiling above me.

Something about this feel wrong, I thought.

I turned my attention toward the window and noticed the pink light of morning was starting to seep through. I hardly sleep the entire night at all and I needed my shut eye so I slept only waking up when it was past noon.

When I woke up, I was surprised to see Kagura seating beside my bed with what look like a magic book in her hands.

"Kagura?"

She looked up.

"You're finally awake," she said putting the book on her lap, "I was wondering how long I would have to wait."

"What are you still doing here?" I asked her.

"Our job is not finished yet," Kagura told me, "Something about the monster bugged me for the entire night so I went back to the place we defeated it, but it was gone."

I frowned.

"Gone?"

"Yes," Kagura said a light frown appearing upon her face, "I was also shocked by my discovery."

I frowned to myself.

"So the people aren't back yet are they?" I asked.

Kagura shook her head.

"But I did a little research about the monster we faced last night," she said giving me the book she was reading when I woke up, "It's a wraith."

I blinked.

"A what?"

I took the book from her and saw the image of the creature that had been drawn upon the paper and saw the small introduction that had been written.

A wraith is a creature that feed upon the life force of living humans to continue to exist in the living world. It varies what bring a wraith to existence although most believe it is to be the work of a powerful dark magic or a curse.

The wraith appearance is the same based on the eyewitness account. A large creature easily over seven feet all with long arms and legs filled with deadly claws. Its speed is something that is impressive as well to be able to move with mindboggling agility.

"A wraith," I murmured, "Then those people that had been kidnapped…"

"Exactly," Kagura said, "the kidnapped people are the ones that are keeping it alive….but the book never said on how to defeat a wraith, if there is a way to defeat one at all…"

"A curse breaker would be useful here," I told her sighing, "But…"

Then I stopped, frowning lightly.

"What is it Eve?" Kagura asked, a light curious tone in her voice.

"For how long was this wraith here?" I asked her.

At that Kagura started to frown.

"I am not sure actually," she said, "But it must have been there for a while since it was one of the old Job Request in the Mermaid Heel guild."

I nodded at her and got off the bed, pulling on my clothes thought I winced considering my arm was still throbbing with pain.

"Where are you going?" Kagura asked me.