Chapter 189 - Legacy of the Mable

Chapter Cover: Elizabeth standing by a window by herself as she was staring up toward a few birds flying in the sky...

I stared at her, unable to process what she just said. This was just too much at once. How can she know that she is going to die when she was just sick? This just didn't make any sense.

"I…I don't understand," I said.

Elizabeth closed her eyes, leaning back into the pillow. The girl stayed still breathing softly as she lied there and I observed her. I can still feel worry for her as I sat there beside her form, waiting for her to continue.

"It's as simple as that," the girl said softly, "It's not something that's difficult to grasp…"

"How?" I asked.

Elizabeth opened here eyes, the violet shades seemingly far away from where she was now. It was like she reminiscing about something from a day that had long since past. Then she turned her gaze toward me.

"It all started when my parents and my older sister died," she said, "I had felt so much pain from that day that I couldn't function at all. I was nothing more than a child and yet I understood when I stood under the rain that day that I was never going to see them again…I never shed any tear that day…I didn't know what was wrong with me…"

Elizabeth let out a small sigh.

"I locked myself into my parents room," she said, "Since I knew I wasn't going to see them again, I started sleeping in there wanting to be as close to them as possible…I desperately wished that it was just a terrible nightmare and when I opened my eyes the next morning that it would be because my mother came and wake me up but…it was no dream…it was reality and that reality was cruel."

The girl frowned to herself.

"It was then I came across my Father's diary while I was simply browsing through the stuff in his study," she said, "I read it off course, thinking that I was going to see my dad talk about his family or his business but most of the things in there were about old documents and other stuff that I didn't really get thought for some reason it was always fixed back to Elianna S. Mable, my great-great-grandmother."

I frowned.

"The woman from the painting?"

She nodded.

"Yes," Elizabeth said, "I couldn't understand why Father was researching into her. I had believed that there was something about the company that needed some sort of proof from her to be legalized so I didn't paid her any mind. I continued to live my life and growing up and then just one night around my fifteen birthday…I saw that thing you described."

I remembered the ghoulish figure from that first night I spend here in that house.

"What happened?"

Elizabeth's from was trembling now.

"I…it attacked me," she whispered, "And it's hand pierced through my chest…I thought I was dead right then and there but I woke up in my own bed with James and the Doctor by my side. I was confused as to why they were here and it was by that I learned from them that I was unconscious for the best part of two weeks since they found me collapsed in my room."

The girl chuckled.

"I asked them if they saw anyone coming from my room but James told me that he had heard me falling on the floor which is the reason he had found me in the first place…It was a terrifying experience, but I wanted to put it behind me so I simply moved on but…I couldn't. It was like there always was a shadow hanging over my shoulder all the time. I didn't know what was going on but I couldn't talk to James about it for he was already worrying over me so I went to my dad's studies again…hoping to find some solace in his journal…"