Chapter 40 - Key

We quickly made our way through the forest with Gajeel leading us on. The Dragon Slayer had his keen nose for Kaiza scent which could be tracked all the way back to where he had come from. I was still feeling a little put off at what I just learned. I had no idea of what was waiting for us at the end of the line and what Key that the samurai was talking about.

A Key to what exactly and just what will it unlock to have dark guilds slaughtering people to look for it?

"I hate this," I said, "Not able to figure out what we are going against."

"It's a Dark Guild probably," Totomaru told me, "But what kind of guild could it be I have no idea…"

"If it's a guild at all," I said to my companion.

"It has to be a guild," Totomaru said, "Such powerful wizards don't gather together like this for no reason…but what worries me more is what is the purpose of the Key that Kaiza was talking about."

"Mai said she didn't know of what they were talking about," I told him.

"And I believe her," Totomaru said, "It's her dad that we must talk to if we want to learn anything about it."

I nodded lightly.

"Then we question her father when we rescue him."

Suddenly Gajeel came to a stop drawing our attention.

"What is it Gajeel?" I asked.

"We're here," the Dragon Slayer said, "This is where the trail lead."

We were now taking precautions, lightly walking forward until we came across of a building, half hidden in the number of trees that had grown around it. It was mostly weathered down with few tiles missing in places and the roof looked like it had fallen in on the side.

"This is…," Totomaru whispered.

"You know what that is?"

"Yes," Totomaru said, "It was said that a dangerous dark guild used this place as a hide out a long time ago…but the Samurai managed to chase them out but with a lot of losses."

"So whoever is using that building has Mai's father in there," Gajeel said, "Let's go beat up some dark guilds."

My attention was drawn away from the building to the forest around us. I frowned lightly sensing the magic around the place from how RuneSave reacted on my back, someone was coming.

"We need to hide," I told them, "I sense a presence nearby."

Gajeel sniffed.

"You're right…a new scent is approaching."

"C'mon," Totomaru said.

We hid ourselves in a shady part of the trees, silently waiting for whoever was coming and sure enough after a few minutes the arrival stepped through the tree. It was a young girl, probably even younger than me with a red cloak floating around her form as she approached. She had short pink hair with golden wing shaped hairpiece upon her head but what shocked me was the symbol that was upon her red cloak.

I feel myself freeze in shock as I stared at it, unable to believe that I was actually seeing it.

"This symbol…," Totomaru whispered, "It's Grimoire Heart…one of the top three strongest dark guild in the Balam Alliance."

"Seriously?" Gajeel said, looking at the man beside us.

I feel myself staring at the small girl with the red cloak as she entered inside the building disappearing beyond it. I didn't expect to run into that guild this early considering the time they actually ran into Fairy Tail was during the S-Class Exam Fairy Tail had.