Chapter 191 - The Village of Thorns

Chapter Cover: Elizabeth standing with Eve as they overlooked a large ruins

"ABSOLUTELY NOT,"

James Olivier was standing there with both of his arms crossed across his chest. The large man had a complete stone face as he stared at the smaller form of Elizabeth right in front of him with his eyes meeting Elizabeth's violet ones.

"There is no way that I would allow something like this again," he said.

"James…this is important," Elizabeth told him.

"Miss Mable," the man said staring at her, "If I may remind you that you collapsed yesterday and your condition had worsened. You should be in bed. You did the exact same thing when the Grand Magic Games were about to start and if you had taken your rest as you should have maybe your health won't be as grave as it was yesterday."

Elizabeth let out a sigh.

"James…I have to do this," she said, "This is related to my research…you know the one I have been doing these past years."

"You mean when you brought those museums and burned them afterward?" the man raise raising an eyebrows, "Because if this is what you are talking about then you should take care of it when you have at least gotten better."

"But I have gotten better," Elizabeth said, "Look, I don't feel sick at all today."

"That maybe so," the man said, "You do look a little better this morning, but I still can't let you get out of this house."

Elizabeth raised her hands in the air in exasperation.

"I'm a twenty-nine year old woman," she said, "You can't tell me what you do you know."

"I can and I will," James answered with a frown, "I'm sorry Miss Mable but this is for your own good. Now why don't you go back up in bed and I'll make sure to bring you something to help you regain your strength?"

Elizabeth looked she was going to say something else before chancing a glance at my general direction. Noticing the look she was giving me, I simply inclined my head toward James and mouthed, "Tell him." It was the only way that he was going to let us out of the house after all, if he was aware of the situation that we were in, maybe he would let us go and find the clue that we were after.

The look on her face made it seems like she was going to refuse but then she let out a soft cough. I frowned lightly at her, concerned at the sudden cough but she simply gave me a resigned smile. Then the girl turned her gaze back toward James who had turned away from her and was now busying himself upon the plates that were in front of him.

"I...James…," she said, "I…I'm not going to get better."

The man glanced at her.

"I'm sorry?" he repeated.

"My sickness…it's not going to get any better," Elizabeth told him.

"Standing around here when you should be in bed," James said, "How do you expect to recover when you don't get bed rest?"

"That's the thing James…I'm not going to recover."

The man seems confused.

"What?"

Elizabeth let out a sigh.

"No matter what medicine you give me," she said, "No matter what the doctor said to give me…It's not going to affect me in any way."

James was frowning lightly.

"If this is your idea of a joke…," he started.

"I'm not making this up," Elizabeth snapped and tears were shining within her eyes, "My father…he had the same exact sickness and he died along with my mother a few days before his thirtieth birthday…He knew about what was truly going on and he himself have been doing research to try to understand what was going on…but he died before he could find anything conclusive."