Chapter 116 - A Leap of Faith

Gajeel and Levy looked at me when I stood up from, surprised and confused looks upon their features.

"Eve, is something wrong?" he asked.

I gave him a light smile.

"Everything's fine," I told him.

He didn't look convinced but he nodded at me and I turned toward Erza.

"Lead the way."

The redhead nodded lightly before walking away and I followed after her. We left the camp together and we were now into the woods, the trees casting shadows upon us as the sun shone bright and sunny above us, as the light hit the leaves giving them an almost golden shine similar to my golden feathers.

I turned my eyes toward the redhead girl that was walking in front of me. I have a pretty good idea of what Erza will want to talk about after all, it had been hanging like a cloud above us ever since that day after Lisanna's party…no, probably even longer than that…

If she brought it up, what am I going to do about it? I thought looking at her, Should I take a leap of faith…or should I break her heart?

I looked down at the ground.

I know that there is no way I can ever do something to hurt her, I thought, but…with emotions involved, it's going to hurt a lot more than a simply wound that can heal over time…but…does Erza even feel the same way as I do? Could she even be giving up on her love for Jellal because of me?

I chuckled softly shaking my head.

Of course not, I thought, I'm the only one that had been in love with that girl and with that other personality within me…I can't risk her getting hurt because of me…

Suddenly, Erza stopped walking causing me to stop as well.

"Erza?" I asked.

The girl turned to face me, a determinate look crossing upon her features. She stared at me for a few moments and silence settled in between us as the wind blew through the forest. I felt a little weird under her gaze. Then, thought she seems to lose her nerve as she looked away from me, and I can see a light flush upon her cheeks causing me to narrow my eyes lightly.

With the awkward silence that had settled between us, I looked around.

"I…well, that was quite an ordeal we went through, you know," I said to her, "with Grimoire Heart attacking us out of nowhere and Zeref being on the island…and here I was thinking that Edolas was the craziest adventure we went through…"

"We do seems to go bigger each time eh," Erza said, a small smile making its way upon her lips.

I gave her a grin, glad that she was finally talking.

"I'm amazed that we managed to pull through," I told her, "Not that I was worried or anything…I had faith that we could pull through."

Erza fell silent as she glanced down at the ground. Seeing that she was silent again, I decided to continue to talk, anything to avoid the awkward silence that had settled between us.

"The guys back home are never going to believe what had happened here," I continued, "The Trials went completely bananas with them showing up and all…"

"Azuma told me that you were dead," Erza interrupted, her voice soft.

I fell silent, staring at the girl across me. Erza had looked up toward me again, a sad look crossing her features.

"When I fought against him in the roots of the Tenrou Tree," she continued, "He told me that he faced both of you and Mirajane and that the two of you were dead…I didn't believe him at first but, a part of me…still felt that same pain I felt when I saw you die in my arms back at the Tower of Heaven."